Is 9mm any good in all reality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm kinda' think of gettin' more 9mm pistols other than just my Beretta.
I'm not gonna' stop gettin' .40S&W pistols either!
I just haven't found anything though that says that 9mm is better than say .40 or .45, now with FMJ I think we all know who wins that.
Cuz' I've been thinking that the sound of getting a Glock 19 sounds better then getting a Glock 23, I don't know why though?
Because I'm about to get another 9mm (Only because they only make it in 9mm) and another .45.
So then I'll have 2 9mm's, 2 .40's, and 2 .45's, so it'll all be tied up.
So should I just stick with .40 and if the pistol is only made in 9mm or get a mixture of both calibers?
Cuz' of course when I turn 21 I wanna' get my CCL, I just don't know if I would feel safe with 9mm over .40 or .45?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't feel safe with any pistol, but I can't get the SWAT team to travel with me and people stare when I take my shotgun.

Seriously, any handgun is a compromise in power compared to a rifle or shotgun, and in spite of all the hooha about caliber choice, the ability and experience to hit your target under fire is far more important than the details of your equipment, once you have a reliable arm with modern bullets of 9mm, .40, or .45. FMJ is not my choice for defense, but it is required for military use against an enemy (the gate guards that I know use hollow points in the states.) Might want to mosey up to Tulsa for some handgun training.

As to feeling safe, if I knew for sure there was going to be a gunfight tomorrow, my first choice would be lots of LEO with long arms and training to deal with it, and I would be elsewhere. I carry a handgun because I don't know, and the LEO can't be everywhere, and that is the best I can do.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_03_01_1e123c1547596a825593ecf2616cdefc.jpg

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take all of the time and money you planned to spend on this endeavor and put it toward ammunition and quality training. Work on that consistently for at least a few years to become as proficient as possible under varied circumstances; favoring high stress and unconventional positions.
You are wasting your time and money trying to decide the best caliber for you until this is accomplished.

Last edited:

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are to fight your way back to your rifle....the 9mm is easier to keep on target...my fave carry gun is an older colt 38spl.....its not to take on a band of marauding gang bangers...its to handle a "right now, in your face" emergency....and get me back to my rifle...

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picking the best is really subjective to what you can shoot accurately with quick follow up shots. I personally feel that 9mm is better for me because I can put more rounds on target at a quicker rate and more accurately than I can with larger calibers. It's cheaper and allows me to train more and get better. For people that have been shooting 20+ years the larger calibers may be better. The smaller caliber will always perform worse in terms of ballistics but carrying and using a defensive gun goes much beyond what causes the biggest wound cavity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom