Crimping 5.56 x 45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm just now starting to reload for 5.56 x 45 and am curious what crimp everyone prefers. During my research I found that it seems you can either put a slight roll crimp or use a Lee factory crimp. I am leaning towards using the Lee crimp but I was wondering if the crimp messes up your brass for future reloads? I will be shooting these reloads in an AR 15. So can someone explain the Lee factory crimp device? Thanks

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lee FCD is the way to go. I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds of 223/5.56 and the Lee Factory Crimp Die gives me consistancy and reliability over other crimp methods. Lots of guys say they don't crimp, but if you don't, you will likely get a bullet pushed back into the case. At minimum a mess to clean up, and can get dangerous.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought. Siad if its an auto loader you should crimp and if its a single shot or bolt gun there wasn't really any need to crimp. Shopping for a Lee factory crimp die now.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis
I should have been more specific. What I meant was I was wondering if using the Lee crimper messed up the brass any with its specific crimp technique.
I have used a slight roll crimp on some of my pistol ammo. I usually don't crimp pistol ammo but have in the past put a slight roll
Crimp on some ,45 and 9mm used in semiautos. I too have never had a problem using a roll crimp and have never crushed any cases that way.
In your competition shooting are you shooting semiautos or other rifles?

Latest posts

Top Bottom