Justice Dept Report on Ferguson MO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I agree. My point is these officers knew what they were doing was wrong. Just because your boss orders you to make a illegal stop doesn't mean you have to.

I'm sure there is a chain of command. So some civilian(mayor, councilman, DA) tells the Police chief he needs more revenue, Chief tells the Captains who tell the Lieutenant s who tells the Sargents who tell the patrolman to write more tickets. Then the Patrolman starts writing BS tickets, making BS stops and generally violating the trust of the citizens.

They all should be fired and never allowed to work in Law enforcement ever again. None of them.

That's generally how it happens. If a patrolman doesn't give out enough traffic tickets in a month, they will be counseled about not keeping up with their duty's of "public safety".
I will stand by my statement that because its a predominate black area that the majority of the violations are going to be against blacks, to keep this on track.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's generally how it happens. If a patrolman doesn't give out enough traffic tickets in a month, they will be counseled about not keeping up with their duty's of "public safety".
I will stand by my statement that because its a predominate black area that the majority of the violations are going to be against blacks, to keep this on track.

Read the report. This is not the case in Ferguson.

Overall, blacks make up 67 percent of Ferguson's population.

From 2012 to 2014, the report found, African-Americans comprised 85 percent of people pulled over for a traffic stop; 90 percent of those given citations; and 93 percent of arrests.

The report also accuses the Ferguson police of using unreasonable force in violation of the Fourth Amendment, and that 88 percent of those cases involved African-Americans.

But more importantly, take in how many constitutional rights are being violated.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the percentage number of blacks in Ferguson was something like 67 percent and roughly 93 percent arrests of blacks by comparisons. However, in what areas of Ferguson are most of the crimes committed? IF there is a higher percentage of crimes in the black area, that 93 percent may not be quite so horrific sounding.

Personally, I don't always trust "summaries" of reports and would prefer to wait and see the full 80+ page report that is released by DOJ. Sometimes, summaries are generalizations that aren't really supported by the full report.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the percentage number of blacks in Ferguson was something like 67 percent and roughly 93 percent arrests of blacks by comparisons. However, in what areas of Ferguson are most of the crimes committed? IF there is a higher percentage of crimes in the black area, that 93 percent may not be quite so horrific sounding.

Personally, I don't always trust "summaries" of reports and would prefer to wait and see the full 80+ page report that is released by DOJ. Sometimes, summaries are generalizations that aren't really supported by the full report.

Exactly. Gotta see the individual precinct numbers. Same goes for any city, but their mind was made up before they even started the dang study. Does anyone really think this report was ever going to be objective? They couldn't put a noose around Wilson's neck so they had to save face. Nothing anybody says in this administration is believable. And I'm shocked that they didn't bring charges against Wilson, but they did have to maintain the appearance of credibility and that was the easiest way to do it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read the report. This is not the case in Ferguson.

But more importantly, take in how many constitutional rights are being violated.

I did read the report. What I stated is that if they determined that the number of violations were because of the disproportionate number of black citizens in the town vs the number of black citizens in the U.S. as a benchmark to determine a ratio that constitutes a violation, the report is false and bias.

It appears from what I read that is exactly what happened. Its exactly what I would expect from Eric Holder on his last days in office after throwing the race card recently.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I did read the report. What I stated is that if they determined that the number of violations were because of the disproportionate number of black citizens in the town vs the number of black citizens in the U.S. as a benchmark to determine a ratio that constitutes a violation, the report is false and bias.

It appears from what I read that is exactly what happened. Its exactly what I would expect from Eric Holder on his last days in office after throwing the race card recently.

You didn't read the report. You're showing your ignorance on the matter. The repirt...80 pages, hasn't been released yet. If, if, if, you read anything it was a summary.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the report it sounds like the citizens were right. I bet the PD leadership get the boot and it's a shame these same people who allowed this to fester and continue will find jobs as officers in other juristictions.

Maybe the citizens were right but there are other ways to deal with it besides rioting. Otherwise you had an interesting point, anybody know why the last department officer Wilson worked for was disbanded and all the officers fired? (aside from the racial allegations)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd have to say my initial impression is somewhere between S4F and Dennis. I can see how some of the stats would be higher than the 67% black population. Without seeing some of the other demographic stats such as unemployment, median income, crime maps, etc., it's difficult to say the numbers are disproportionately skewed. Simply put, if you don't have any income it's difficult to keep up with vehicle maintenance, tags, insurance, etc. I can drive down the street and tell you exactly which vehicles if pulled over will have multiple violations. It's simply a matter of observation.

Likewise, if you don't have a job you may tend to get up late and stay out late, which is when the likelihood of crime is greater. People walking or hanging out in a dark area with no apparent purpose are going to get more scrutiny than a jogger at 6AM or a person playing with their kids on a sunny afternoon.

OTOH, policing for profit is absolutely rampant in America and it's obscene. I have zero issues with what Holder had to say on that matter. Further, I believe there have already been resignations and terminations over the racist emails that were discovered. It's pretty easy to let bias and hatred take hold in a situation where the "us vs. them" mentality is prepetuated on both sides. I believe the community leaders in Ferguson need to work harder to foster a better relationship with the local government. The local government is required to do so and I'd be willing to bet their efforts have been lacking.

Without both camps working together, it's not going to get any better though.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here is a link to the report.

If you have no bias, or a bias anywhere left of the Grand Dragon of the KKK, and read this report you should be outraged. The Ferguson PD systematically targeted blacks and violated their Constitutional rights with impunity. If the Ferguson PD targeted gun owners the way they did blacks and subjected them to similar abuses this board would be crashed with the rage posts. Instead we get a collective, meh. Either you believe in the protections the Constitution affords every citizen, unilaterally, or you do not. There is no middle ground.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link to the report.

If you have no bias, or a bias anywhere left of the Grand Dragon of the KKK, and read this report you should be outraged. The Ferguson PD systematically targeted blacks and violated their Constitutional rights with impunity. If the Ferguson PD targeted gun owners the way they did blacks and subjected them to similar abuses this board would be crashed with the rage posts. Instead we get a collective, meh. Either you believe in the protections the Constitution affords every citizen, unilaterally, or you do not. There is no middle ground.

Every damn city in the nation does this. Not to just blacks, but to fill their coffers.

It is simply forced taxation.

Who knows for sure all the truth in the report, it they were indeed targeting a specific race, they should all be replaced and serve jail time. The Constitution covers every color of skin.

Latest posts

Top Bottom