NASA to experiment with "atomic refridgerator" on ISS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How nerdy am I? I've been following this project since it was funded. The Bose-Einstein conedensate was so far fetched that even quantum theorists dismsissed them until the Higgs-Boson particle was confirmed. The physics world was, essentially turned on it's head and incredible new era is opening up. Einstein would be both pleased as punch and blown away at the same time.

Cool stuff.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How nerdy am I? I've been following this project since it was funded. The Bose-Einstein conedensate was so far fetched that even quantum theorists dismsissed them until the Higgs-Boson particle was confirmed. The physics world was, essentially turned on it's head and incredible new era is opening up. Einstein would be both pleased as punch and blown away at the same time.

Cool stuff.

I think he would be pretty damn old.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Cool stuff.

The BEC was produced independently in two different places around 1995, quite a bit before the Higgs-Boson is thought to be confirmed. BEC like properties (in helium) were observed as far back as 1938 even though they had no idea what they were seeing.

I still love to see that every time they think they've punched a hole in Einstein's theory of relativity, they actually haven't. Usually it comes in the form of thinking they've found something traveling faster than the speed of light.

When I first saw the applications of relativity, I was forever in awe. GPS must account for time dilation. While doing calculations for semiconductors, the apparent mass of the electrons becomes dependent on their velocity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom