SASS Cowboy Shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting into this sport. I'm a member of OKC Gun Club, and it looks like they have a nice set up...............

Just wondering who on here is into it,,,,,,,,,,,,what to watch for, how much time if consumes, etc. etc. Also, any recommendations on firearms much appreciated also.

Haven't done any real competition shooting, but I'm mainly looking to do it just for the fun and comraderie.

Just curious what you think of the sport.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a competition at Red Castle about a month ago. The folks taking part fell over themselves to make my girlfriend and me feel welcome to watch, and one of them went so far as to let us put a few rounds through his lever action. We asked all sorts of questions, and came away with the impression that the start-up costs are rather steep for two revolvers, a lever action rifle, and a shotgun, plus the ammo (reloading is the way to go, apparently) and the costume and shooting rigs. At least, that's what it'd take to participate in the competition we watched. Then you have to practice in order to be any good - we were amazed by this one fellow who single-loaded a pump shotgun, over the top of the receiver into the chamber, with four rounds in about the same amount of time it took someone with a SxS shotgun to load twice. Looked like it could be a ton of fun, though!

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a competition at Red Castle about a month ago. The folks taking part fell over themselves to make my girlfriend and me feel welcome to watch, and one of them went so far as to let us put a few rounds through his lever action. We asked all sorts of questions, and came away with the impression that the start-up costs are rather steep for two revolvers, a lever action rifle, and a shotgun, plus the ammo (reloading is the way to go, apparently) and the costume and shooting rigs. At least, that's what it'd take to participate in the competition we watched. Then you have to practice in order to be any good - we were amazed by this one fellow who single-loaded a pump shotgun, over the top of the receiver into the chamber, with four rounds in about the same amount of time it took someone with a SxS shotgun to load twice. Looked like it could be a ton of fun, though!

Thanks Perplexed. My perception also of a bunch of friendly folks. You are correct about the initial start-up cost. I may have to do some swapping!

airpowmech

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about getting into this sport. I'm a member of OKC Gun Club, and it looks like they have a nice set up...............

Just wondering who on here is into it,,,,,,,,,,,,what to watch for, how much time if consumes, etc. etc. Also, any recommendations on firearms much appreciated also.

Haven't done any real competition shooting, but I'm mainly looking to do it just for the fun and comraderie.

Just curious what you think of the sport.
I am a fairly new shooter to the sport, but here is the best advice for starting SASS. Buy nothing until you go to a match. The members are very friendly and will let you try different equipment so you can get a feel before you buy. If you don't reload you might want to think about that if you get into really shooting SASS. Don't get hung up on the costume, it can be as simple as jeans, a button up shirt and boots. I hope this helps a little.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, airpowmech, that helps a lot. I do reload, just need to gear up a bit for 45 colt---which is the caliber I prefer. Good idea to look/try the different equipment. Appreciate it.

Brother Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The club that shoots at Red Castle calls themselves the Indian Territory Single Action Shooters. It is a fun and family group that encourages new shooters to join in. We believe in having fun and keep safety our number 1 priority. I would invite you out to a shoot. We shoot this month on the 8th and the 14th, both safety meeting start at 9"30. We encourage you to get there early to see how every one is set up including the stages we will be shooting. It gives you time to meet the shooters(both male and female) and see the wide range of equipment being used. Try to look up Burly Bill or his wife Catoosa Red and they will make sure you get accurate information and make you feel welcome. I plan to be there on Sunday and my SASS alias is Brother Jim. If you are not a member of Red Castle you will need the gate code to get in and you may contact me and I will get it for you. Look forward to meeting you.

Brother Jim formerly know as Stiff Finger

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've done CAS for over 22 years, my favorite caliber is 45C and 44-40, YMMV, my wife shoots 38sp.
The guns required are: 2 pistols 32cal up to 45C, a lever action rifle chambered in a pistol caliber
and a side by side double barrel shotgun 16 20 or 12 ga. or and 1897 winchester pump or the norinco knock off.
You'll need an alias you can't use your sir name.
Come to our next match on the 2nd Saturday this month(9:00)or forth sunday dressed in wangler style jeans, cowboy boots,
long sleeve shirt and a cowboy hat, tell Flat Top(our director) you want to shoot but don't have guns yet
he will have or will get guns and ammo for you to shoot.
Or you can hang around until they are finish then they will let you shoot some.
I would be there the second Sat. but I have a funeral to go to.
Come on out it's lots of fun!!

Go here: www.sassnet.com/ for all the rules.

My alias here is my CAS alias. and yes I am kin to Calamity Jean (I have proof.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom