Keeping Bees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you get stung don't jump or swat at the bees.

Have supers ready to expand the hive before you need them.

Don't set up your bees close to anywhere people can easily get to them.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First rule is wear white from head to toe and use a bee hood. Bees are genetically programmed to attack dark objects in the area of the hive, think bears...

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you get stung don't jump or swat at the bees.

Have supers ready to expand the hive before you need them.

Don't set up your bees close to anywhere people can easily get to them.

How many supers would you start with? Also, how close is too close? I was thinking of an open spot about 150 yards away from the house. Too close?

First rule is wear white from head to toe and use a bee hood. Bees are genetically programmed to attack dark objects in the area of the hive, think bears...

I lumber around just like a freakin bear, all white is noted! Thanks guys

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen them that close to a house. I think the main thing is the people of the house don't get close (within 10-15 yards) to the hives. I have walked within 15 yards of occupied hives and not been bothered at all.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JT I wish you would come get the hive around my house. I can't find it and the bee's make it hard to sit outside during the day. They swarm the hummingbird feeders, and drive the hummers off of them.

Probably in a hollow tree, but I want them gone.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing of the process, Dennis. It would be worth videoing if I tried to relocate a hive. The Misses said she'd like to get some bees and that beats the tar out of shopping for curtains so I jumped on it! I figured someone around here would have the info.

Bassin, I think you'd lie to me just to get me stung. :bolt:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing of the process, Dennis. It would be worth videoing if I tried to relocate a hive. The Misses said she'd like to get some bees and that beats the tar out of shopping for curtains so I jumped on it! I figured someone around here would have the info.

Bassin, I think you'd lie to me just to get me stung. :bolt:

Never. However, I tend to be less fearful of wild animals, reptiles, insects and arachnids than most.

Latest posts

Top Bottom