Guns OR Ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need more .223 and more 9mm. But every time I get ready to buy I always start feeling guilty about spending money I haveney budgeted. That's why i don't have what I need. But I don't shoot as much as I would like to anyway. And. Now that .223 is out of hand on price again i will be waiting to pull the trigger for that. (No pun intended). Makes me want to puke when I read about some of you guys' stashes. I just talked to a guy today that said he has 30+ pistols, 4 ar's, and was thinking of getting a scar with an acog.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Curious for you guys keeping thousands of rounds per caliber, did you ever feel like consolidating calibers? I've dropped my setup to only 12ga, 22lr, 9mm, 45, 7.62, and 5.56 but have been thinking of adding a 17hmr. Everytime I get ready to pull the trigger on a new caliber, I always find myself figuring out away to build/buy around the calibers I already have. Just curious if I'm the only one.

I keep the calipers that work for my needs. The wife and daughter like 9mm and 22LR, the boys like .45 and I like the .40 caliber. Of course there is the 12ga for home defense and the 5.56 for range time and hunting if the need arises.

Never really interested in any other calibers.

piston10

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious for you guys keeping thousands of rounds per caliber, did you ever feel like consolidating calibers? I've dropped my setup to only 12ga, 22lr, 9mm, 45, 7.62, and 5.56 but have been thinking of adding a 17hmr. Everytime I get ready to pull the trigger on a new caliber, I always find myself figuring out away to build/buy around the calibers I already have. Just curious if I'm the only one.

I have. 9mm and 223/556 is it for me.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I thought about consolidating calibers, but I always seem to do the opposite!!

My main calibers are 9mm, 22LR and 223 and I focus on them, but I also have several other "secondary" calibers that I get when I can.

And (this is the sign of true gun nut) I have bought ammo for calibers that I do not own yet (like .17 and 22mag).
And before anyone groans, I've bought it when it was plentiful and tucked it aside.
I've done the same with magazines. I have mags for guns I do not own, but might like to someday (except for the Johnson LMG mags)
Wish I had done it earlier and more prolifically.
Who would have thought that we'd have Sten mags at 15-20 bucks each and GG mags at 40 bucks???

Dave

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No.
I know people that consolidate calibers like the ones you listed; 22lr, 9, 45, 7.62, 5.56. After Sandy Hook, there was a period of months that at best people had to line up at Academy early to get 3 misc boxes, more often get raped on armlist and most simply were unable to get any ammo.

Although I do have calibers I will stockpile more than others, I still own a broad assortment of other calibers. If I walk into Walmart or Academy and they have ammo, I probably have something to shoot it. It's not often you see runs on 10mm. But I don't stock thousands of all the calibers. The calibers I buy in case form are the usual 9, 40, 45, 223, 7.62. I'm going to add .380 to that list shortly because I picked up another machinegun that shoots it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having been thru at least two previous ammo shortages, I have vowed over time to NEVER be caught short in that department again.

The old phrase "buy it cheap and stack it deep" holds.
Even though cheap by today's standards may not be cheap by yesterday's standards, ammo don't go bad.

Dave

I had 10K of .22. Who knew it was going to be a dry lake for three years?

Right there with ya. I keep no less than 5000 rounds of every caliber I own. I, like you and others, had a reality check a few years ago. That won't happen again.

Who would have thought 2 years ago that you still couldn't walk into any Walmart and find simple 22LR ammo stocked at all times. I can remember buying a Federal Bulk pack almost every time I went to Walmart and never seen it OOS.

Jeff405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 6 different calibers, 22lr, 380, 45, 223, 12, 270. I only really stock up the plinking calibers (22lr,223) when I can and then some for hunting (270). The rest I just keep a few boxes around.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently stock/shoot 9mm, 40 S&W, 32 ACP, 9mm Makarov, 7.62x39mm, 7.63x51/308 Winchester, 12 gauge, and 22 LR. The only one that I do not have massive quantities of is 9mm Makarov, and that is in one pistol only.

I also carry a ton of spare AK and HK magazines for my two rifles and one carbine, and I just bought eight (8) 32-round Uzi magazines to go with the two others that I have. Also, I have at least ten (10) extra magazines for most of my pistols.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems to me there's a ton of people owning an appology to those so called price gougers. Those not willing to think ahead. So how many have returned the favor? Haven't seen a one
👺

Latest posts

Top Bottom