Cerakoting small parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally have all the parts in and slowly working toward Cerakoting a SBR. For those that DIY coat, do y'all coat the trigger, guard, pins, ejection port rod, forward assist, buffer tube, etc.?
I coated a shotgun a while back, but it was much less complex than an AR.

I'll probably go ahead and coat all the little exposed stuff, but thinking through it, I'll spend way more time on prep and hanging parts on wire than actually spraying.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done a lot of guns and have very rarely needed to plug pin holes. You can coat whatever you want, but make sure you plug the gas port, muzzle, and chamber. Prep is always the most time consuming part of the project.

okron

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you sure the pins will fit back in the holes after adding a few mills of duracote ? i personally mask all that stuff off and dont let it go in those areas .

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine always have, but YMMV. I certainly wouldn't be worried about roll pins. If you were dealing with very tightly fitted 1911's, you would likely have to do some additional fitting. I have Cerakoted a few dozen AR's, several 10/22's, Hi Powers, Glocks, XDM's, bolt action rifles, etc, and have had no issues.

okron

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
however , theres plenty of info out there to not coat anything that has a tight clearance , and thats why i dont . long video ( i had to search for it , ) but it shows what can happen . http://youtu.be/TI-DolazFYY

its toward the end if you dont want to watch the whole video , his slide was jamming and ftf .

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
you dont need to mask holes. if the pins are tight you lap[ em in with some oil. way faster and cleaner job than masking holes. Bsmith knows what hes doing.

Ive cerakoted 1911 frames and slides with <.0005" clearance. how you coat tight areas and when and where you can lay it on thick is an acquired skill

okron

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
you dont need to mask holes. if the pins are tight you lap[ em in with some oil. way faster and cleaner job than masking holes. Bsmith knows what hes doing.

Ive cerakoted 1911 frames and slides with <.0005" clearance. how you coat tight areas and when and where you can lay it on thick is an acquired skill

well to each his own , but i choose not to , i haven't done as many as bsmith , but i've done at least a dozen rifles and handguns and was a painter in automotive world for 20 yrs so i do have some knowledge , anyway thanks for the info .

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is no need to tape off, or fill holes if you coat your stuff correctly.. you wont have clearance issues. I coat the smallest of parts.. loaded chamber indicators, striker indicators, I don't even tape off the dove tail grooves on the sights.. and the sights go back on just fine, with out scuffing up or dredging the coating off.

To help manage the tiny parts use a fine jewelers wire to suspend your parts and gives yourself something to hold onto, for other parts like your triggers, and mag-well plates I use some electric fence wire.

Manage your coating by being careful not to over-spray around moving parts... go a little heaver around points that get holster wear and such..

As stated above..plug chambers and the end of barrels and such..i use silicone cork thingys for that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom