Should OU suspend basketball players for useing "N" word on national TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The two situations aren't equal. It's the cultural processes in ingroup vs. outgroup dynamics. Many things that are ok between ingroup members are not ok with somebody outside the group. The frat situation is clearly racist...whereas the basketball situation is not. For example, I can call many of my friends on this forum a "redneck bastard" and we'll laugh together; but if a black stranger were to call one of those friends a "redneck bastard", it would surely lead to a fight.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's OK for black folk to use that word without consequence then it shouldn't be so shocking or offensive when others use it.
In general, I agree with you, but context means everything. There's a BIG difference between frat boys chanting about hanging ******s from trees and a couple of black dudes saying "hey, my nigga;" independent of their skin colors, the usage is entirely different. It's kind of like how it's OK for you to call your wife/girlfriend "honey," but if the sleazy used car salesman does it, it's not cool at all--it's all about the context.

Latest posts

Top Bottom