Tornado Shelters- Flat Safe, Ground Zero or Taylors??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
who are the f5 people here i would like to see what it would take to get one

GC and I are a pair ... :wink2: We were/are VERY HAPPY with ours. The installation process was uneventful ... guys were professional, clean, quick ... door slides perfectly ... they answered all my questions ... again we are very, very pleased. Tampabucs also was giving an OSA discount (dunno if he still does or not but you could ask) and we got the biggest shelter they have for less than a lot of places are charging for the smaller shelters.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My F5 had a slight leaking issue that was taken care of quick and has been solid and dry ever since. They showed up on time, cleaned up after themselves, and answered any/all questions.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put in a ground zero last year and couldn't be happier. Install took about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Very professional and easy.

My wife and kids sat in it for about 30 mins last night while sirens were roaring in Owasso. The peace of mind it provides is priceless and if the day ever comes.....it will be worth it's weight in gold!

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put in a ground zero last year and couldn't be happier. Install took about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Very professional and easy. My wife and kids sat in it for about 30 mins last night while sirens were roaring in Owasso. The peace of mind it provides is priceless and if the day ever comes.....it will be worth it's weight in gold!

Agree. Mine was quick and easy install. Very happy with it

cheese79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GC and I are a pair ... :wink2: We were/are VERY HAPPY with ours. The installation process was uneventful ... guys were professional, clean, quick ... door slides perfectly ... they answered all my questions ... again we are very, very pleased. Tampabucs also was giving an OSA discount (dunno if he still does or not but you could ask) and we got the biggest shelter they have for less than a lot of places are charging for the smaller shelters.

ha yes i guess i should have been more clear on my question i ment the member that works for them wanted to see about a price and thank you bb i will pm tampabucs

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into one of those above-ground shelters that are installed post-construction in a closet? They're composed of steel panels with lips that bolt to the next panel, and the whole thing is then bolted to the foundation. I thought that might be a good way to have an in-house safe room after you've moved into an existing house and you don't want to go underground or have a blockhouse sitting out back. Now I realize the merits of an in-ground shelter, but for several reasons, an above-ground shelter is better for me.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into one of those above-ground shelters that are installed post-construction in a closet? They're composed of steel panels with lips that bolt to the next panel, and the whole thing is then bolted to the foundation. I thought that might be a good way to have an in-house safe room after you've moved into an existing house and you don't want to go underground or have a blockhouse sitting out back. Now I realize the merits of an in-ground shelter, but for several reasons, an above-ground shelter is better for me.

I've been in the Catastrophe Claims Business for 20 years now and have seem some pretty gnarly carnage from Tornadoes and Hurricanes. I've seen many "above ground" shelters pass the test, but I've seen some that didn't.

For me, the safest place is below the ground when facing a serious weather event (F4-F5 tornado or CAT 4/5 Hurricane). It's not necessarily just the winds that become the problem in these storms....it's the "stuff" it makes airborne that becomes the problem. Think about any of the F5 tornadoes in Moore/OKC in the past 10 years where vehicles are being slung around like toys. I wouldn't want to be in an above ground shelter when a Ford F250 slams into it at 200 mph.

Now, if I were to build my own home again....and I was quite certain the slab was as strong as the shelter itself....that might be a different story. This is the fundamental problem with above ground shelters for me. Slab goes down (probably 3 1/2 to 4" concrete) and house is built on top. After the fact, someone comes in, decides where their going to put shelter, drill a bunch of holes through the slab and whawla, everyone is assumedly safe.

I've seen F5 tornadoes remove everything, including parts of or all of the concrete slabs on many homes (Joplin, Moore, OKC and other cities around the country).

This is why, for me, I will be below ground level when or if the big one ever comes at me. Just my .02

If you are wanting the above ground because you are wanting to serve multiple purposes, then I suppose it makes sense and will more than likely keep you and yours safe in most if not all weather situations you might face.

Back to me and if I ever build another house. My master closet or another closet on the ground level will be 6-8" reinforced concrete walls with reinforced floor and ceilings with a solid steel safe door on it, which will be my safe room, gun safe and storm shelter.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ground Zero safe roof after an F5 hit it.

www.groundzeroshelters.com_safe2.jpg

www.groundzeroshelters.com_safe1.jpg

www.groundzeroshelters.com_safe5.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom