Tornado Shelters- Flat Safe, Ground Zero or Taylors??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. My FlatSafe "could" flood. There is nothing to stop liquid from flowing in. If I lived in an are prone to flooding I would think differently but I worry not that it would fill to the point I would have to get out or drown. But you never know.....what if my inground pool were to crack and release an underground river that shot my shelter out of the ground and it landed upside down and then a car fell on it? Then I'd really be in trouble.

Coz

I said run-off liquid, not flooding, which gasoline would never be.

If you had your shelter installed where you could not wash the floor of your garage then that's on you, wouldn't you say? The rest of the "what ifs" are indeed humorous.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my neighbors in ground floated up out of the garage twice I went with an above ground safe room from Ground Zero. About that same price as the in grounds without all the problems.

Stephen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. My FlatSafe "could" flood. There is nothing to stop liquid from flowing in....

Coz
Mine rise up good 3" but I rather have flat lip, if anyone ever try to park a car with low profile tires over it will understand. Especially, if the shelter is in the single bay of three cars side entery garage. So far I have called three diffrent companies and no one able to just change the top to flat top without change the whole shelter out! If anyone know who could, please help!

kevin brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of the garage floor units seem pretty comparable. When I decide to have one installed it will be a Ground Zero unit. I am partial to them because it is a local company (to me) and I am familiar with the owners and many of the employees.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's called don't store gasoline in your garage. Regardless, I'm pretty sure most shelters are installed to prevent liquid run-off flowing into the shelter.
Are you always so acerbic?

What 120 acres was referring to is the advice that many shelter companies give to park your vehicle over the shelter so that it keeps debris from falling directly on the sliding door.
The vehicle provides a support to elevate rafters, ceiling joists, and the like off the floor.
Now, if some of that debris was to puncture the fuel tank it would be directly above your head.

My solution is to park a vehicle directly beside the shelter.
That way I still get most of the benefit of a raised support structure but the leaking gasoline would run around the shelter door.

Here are some pics of my ground zero install last Fall.
From the time the truck rolled up to the time they left was 2hrs 50mins.

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_IMG_0391_zps1cf3cb53.jpg

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_IMG_0389_zpsc09290cf.jpg

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_IMG_0393_zps338e414c.jpg

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_IMG_0394_zps00fab6b3.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally have a Tornado Safe. I have houses with Ground Zero and an unknown brand in another and a ground Zero in yet another.

I think they are all comparable...BUT, they are all metal.

If I was putting one in today it would be the new fiberglass (I think) vs metal without a doubt...

Might be difficult jacking debris off to get out of it with fiberglass. Something to think about.

Latest posts

Top Bottom