Pilot locked out of cockpit prior to germanwings crash.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flights I've been on. I've seen one of the flight attendants enter the cockpit when one of the flight crew go to the rest room. I'm assuming this is a preventative measure to ensure one of the pilots can get back in just in case.

That is the same I've seen.
The voice recorder that is pretty much intact should have revealed if that is the case. I'm not sure they have released all the info. Time will tell.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cockpit door has three settings. Unlocked, it opens freely. Normal, it can be opened with a keypad on the outside of the door. This is how it is set during flight. The last setting is locked which disables the keypad. It seems the door was set to locked after the pilot left which would be a deliberate act.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In that case it wouldn't have changed its course.

I didnt think it did change course? In fact I heard one expert (pilot) saying that it was very odd that if the plane was having mechanical issues and losing altitude, why didnt the pilot turn around and head for more "forgiving" terrain? He say they could have traveled 90 miles in the opposite direction in the 8 minutes it took them to go down, thus avoiding the mountains.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did I say in the other post? Hope it wasn't a peaceful Muslim. I betting it turns out he was, a peaceful muzlim that was just misunderstood

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The flights I've been on. I've seen one of the flight attendants enter the cockpit when one of the flight crew go to the rest room. I'm assuming this is a preventative measure to ensure one of the pilots can get back in just in case.

That is normal procedure on American flights, always to have two people occupy the cockpit at all times, other parts of the world do not follow this protocol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom