Pilot locked out of cockpit prior to germanwings crash.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but more for incapacitation reasons than the flight attendant preventing the remaining pilot from locking the other pilot out. If one pilot steps out, and the remaining pilot has a heart attack, there will be someone left to open the door for the one who stepped out.

I'll play the devils advocate on this one.

When the flight attendant comes into the cockpit, with the co-pilot, how hard would it be for the co-pilot to get up to stretch and put a blind attack on the flight attendant? Guarantee you a person that has pre planned can put either sex down with one punch/move and continue flying the plane alone.
Doing so would still make the co-pilot the sole commander of the plane.

I'm not confident that protocol is valid. Its a feel good thing that some desk jockey thought up.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

When the flight attendant comes into the cockpit, with the co-pilot, how hard would it be for the co-pilot to get up to stretch and put a blind attack on the flight attendant? Guarantee you a person that has pre planned can put either sex down with one punch/move and continue flying the plane alone.

I'm not confident that protocol is valid. Its a feel good thing that some desk jockey thought up.

Thats what i mean. Its not for security reasons, as much as it is for safety reasons. But most flight decks are smalllll....there is no room to stand up and stretch.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Sure, but it's just part of a layered defense.

As a former military man, you understand that no plan will stop a determined attacker. Layered defenses make it harder for that attacker to succeed. They make his planning more complex, and increase your chances of defeating him.

Having a flight attendant in the cockpit when one pilot leaves does that very thing.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, but it's just part of a layered defense.

As a former military man, you understand that no plan will stop a determined attacker. Layered defenses make it harder for that attacker to succeed. They make his planning more complex, and increase your chances of defeating him.

Having a flight attendant in the cockpit when one pilot leaves does that very thing.

In the aviation security field, we call it concentric rings of security. Whenever we analyze a major aviation safety or security incident, in most cases it's a cascading series of failures that lead to the disaster.

We reinforce the message that every component of the system is just as important as the others. No one person, process or procedure will always deter a threat, but all of them together are far more likely to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All duly noted and agree that anything that adds a layer of security is a step in the right direction.
I'd still think the ultimate security would be a seat belt that locked the pilot to their chair when the other left the cockpit as well as an attendant coming in to prevent the scenario I laid out.
This is the fourth occasion of mass murder by pilot. Incidents in 2013, 1999, and 1997 where pilots intentionally flew their planes into the ground preceded this crash.
Malaysia flight 370 May very well be another incident.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
From a fellow early bronco buddy, he's a A320 pilot............

I've been flying the A320 for about 15 years and might be able to provide some insight. First, you have to be able to trust all members of the cockpit crew. If either pilot wants to crash the plane it will crash.

The Airbus has levels of flight envelope protection. It will pitch up to prevent over speed and apply power and pitch down to prevent a stall. These protections can be over ridden.

There is a ground proximity warning system that provides warnings but does not control the aircraft.

The decent rate was not abnormal for an idle decent. We practice emergency descents and you can get a passenger jet on the ground from altitude quite smartly.

The flight deck door is designed to keep the bad guys out. The flight attendants can access the flight deck in the case of crew incapacitation. The crew can over ride access.

I find it interesting that he had a 6 month break in his training for stress or anxiety. Not exactly astronaut material for a guy that age. I don't have a problem with their program of training pilots and putting then in the seat with 600 hours. We train pilots to fly off carriers with less time.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
11025219_1222429797780077_5562023341485753160_o.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom