Chambered Mufflers vs Glasspacks vs Turbo Mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Have Flowmaster 40's on my 71' Bronco with a 302. They're a little loud, sound is great, but loud. Getting ready to switch to something quieter, but haven't decided yet on what.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have Flowmaster 40's on my 71' Bronco with a 302. They're a little loud, sound is great, but loud. Getting ready to switch to something quieter, but haven't decided yet on what.

Comes with age. IMHO
Ran Walker Continentals forever but eventually being able to listen to the radio was more important than a mellow rumble.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to see that '71 one of these days. I'm a Bronco guy myself. You have side exit, dumped or run out back?

Side exit in front of the rear tires.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20140826_201957_zpsm7ddxgws.jpg

Well I have a straight pipe on my diesel.

Turbos are really efficient mufflers though :)

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the vehicle, Ive got a variety of em on different vehicles. My little Blazer S-10 4x4 w/V6 and my lifted K5 w/small block V8 are headers to/thru simple Walker long glass packs - both are pretty f'n loud, they dont go to town much. My GMC SUV w/5.3l had Flowmasters when I bought it and they still sound nice and smooth, its the only vehicle I own the wife will ride in. My 2 Japanese RWD hot rods, a Supra with an inline 6 & twin turbo and a G35 with a V6 n.a., ran Magnaflow turbos for awhile then went with a Borla catback system with the Supra, the system came with Borlas XS turbos- its really nice sounding and not loud or fart can sounding at all and while the car will never sound like a V8 it does sound amazingly good for a 6; the other car with the Magnaflows sounds great too but is pretty freaking loud, I just added an extra amp to the sound system.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old nova 12.02 compression solid flat tappet 350" had 2 glass packs then 2 turbo's for a total of 4 mufflers and all the way out the back and I could not hear my 10" subs that had 75RMS to them.

When I have a choice I like the cheap light universal turbo mufflers or the Warlock turbo with the Dump built into it so I can go straight pipe if I wish.

BUT I stick them back as far as I can as the farther down stream you stick a muffler the more efficient it is.

Look where GM stuck the mufflers on the Corvette all these years.. right at the bumper.

As the exhaust travels down the pipe it begins to cool off.. and as you know hot air is bigger than cold air.. so reasoning has it that if the air is smaller it will not take up as much space and will flow through passage easier...

When I tested different type turbo mufflers and hung them at the bumper I noticed no gain in performance.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have long tubes and 2.5" Super 40s on my hot-ish 283 Chevy. They sound great at idle, but drone bad at certain RPMs and every car with Flowmasters kinda sounds the same to me sometimes.

I'll be going to short glasspacks or short steelpacks next time...Brockmans or something...to get a more classic hot roddy sound. Might wait a bit and find 2.5" ram horns first and ditch my headers. I like glasspacks on anything pre-'72 or so. 50s cars should definitely have packs IMO. Packs are loud when you get on it, but quite at cruising RPM compared to Flows. My Flows are actually QUITER at high RPMs under heavy acceleration than at cruise. Kinda backwards from a pack.

I don't mind loud tho. I run collector cutouts open sometimes. :/

My Toyota is stock because...V6.

Latest posts

Top Bottom