Chambered Mufflers vs Glasspacks vs Turbo Mufflers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a straight-six 235 with Fenton headers. Ran glass packs out the back, and loved the sound, but after a couple months I decided I'd like to hear the radio again. Switched to some turbos, for a DD, it works best for me.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best exhaust sound I ever heard was out of chambered factory side pipes on a '67 Corvette with the high compression 327-350 (RPO L79). You could hear the engine hitting on each cylinder as you stepped on the gas, and the sound was the perfect combo of rasp and rumble.

Viper16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two 5" chambered mufflers on my little turbo 2.5. Somewhat subtle on low acceleration, but a beast when on the throttle, not a Vette or Stang, but I enjoy it. as I put some miles on it, it did muffle down a bit, once it got the carbon coating from the exhaust.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On my 69 Charger, small block, I have actually had all 3 versions on it at one time or another.
I prefer the glasspacks all the way.
Flowmasters resonated too much inside the cab at the lower rpm range.
Turbos just didnt sound right for that car.

Remember glasspacks come in a variety of lengths, so u can change the noise & tone levels.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My preference is chambered on late models and glasspacks on older rigs (pickups &suvs). I've got a single 3" cherrybomb exterme dumped behind the cab on my 08 f150. Sounds great!!

Have a 2.5" x 23 (body) Thrush glasspack single with 18" x3.5" echo chamber corner exit right where bumper meets fender on my 94 Bronco. Luv the way it sounds. Deep tone without the splatter.

On my previous Bronco I had 12" glasspacks, dual with H pipe, echo chambers and it was loud as hell!

Latest posts

Top Bottom