Dumb, Newbie question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasiebe

Marksman
Reaction score
I'm looking to start reloading 9mm and 556. (I was given a shotgun press but there's no economics in it.)

Is the reloading data online good enough or should I look for a book? And if so, which one?

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of the powder companies have load data on line, In this day and age a book isn't really needed for loads but are really necessary for a newbie to learn the basics and be safe. I personally like the Lyman reloading books.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I find I use online resources more than paper resources. Resources online need to be both reliable and vetted. There are some wacky loads on the internet that could get you killed and/or your equipment damaged.

However, there is more information in a loading manual that just loads. There is a lot of good reference material in both the front and the back. It's worth it to you to buy at least one.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you get certain Lee die sets it will have instructions how to set up the dies and a lot of loads with different bullets and powders.
Some Lee die sets come with the powder dipper and the shell holders also.

I use the dippers often when loading certain ammo and they are very good at what they do if you are also good at what you do.

But I do like the books.. I use the Lyman 49th quite often.

I did not use the internet or books when I started ,, just a Lee Field Loader and the dipper and I had very accurate reliable ammo from that.

But as time went on 6 years later a have a few presses and many die sets, like candy to a child you will want all you can get your hands on.

sukivel

Marksman
Reaction score
(I was given a shotgun press but there's no economics in it.)

Only if you load 12 or 20 gauge in 7.5 or 8 shot. I like #4 or #5 in all my shotguns and that is harder and usually much more expensive, especially in 16 gauge or .410. I also get a lot less recoil and sound with my shotshell reloads. I won't even go into how much better they pattern...

Glock_21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep at least 2-3 current reloading manuals on hand even with what's available online. You can never have too much information. I have the current versions from Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler. I would like to add the Lyman book to that. There are also a good stack of older versions as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom