Stoops?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkYourMilkshake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and a MAN would have still walked away. Now the basketball players use the same word as the frat boys and Boren won't do anything. His speech about zero tolerance is worthless when he applies a double standard.

I would say double standard doesn't apply given context. I'm not saying I agree with how Boren handled it. Not really taking sides either way. But I do know that one of my good friends who happens to be Jewish doesn't bat an eye if I call him a derogatory name referring to him being Jewish. We are friends and he knows I would go to war fir him. He might not react the same way if a fella with swastika tattoos said it to him.

It's all about context.

DrinkYourMilkshake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
zero tolerance means just that. there is no context to apply to it.
zero tolerance on racism. not words.
As far as Stoops, I personally take his stand to mean that he has no issue with women being abused as long as he gets paid. What if that had been Stoop's daughter? Would that player still be at OU? I highly doubt it.
Not arguing that with you. In fact, I completely agree. And as an alumni and a father of daughters, I already have a letter out to Mr Boren about it (though until I have a building named after me, Im sure it would be as effective as diabetes pamphlet in a cake eating contest.

What gets me is the Mixon incident also involved homophobic slurs. I'm pretty confident the CIA helped us find out that Mr Boren has a stockpile of loafer lightener back when he was serving as a US senator.

Go figure.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy who did the chants wasn't on the football team and that's the big difference. It's a disgrace that he kept mixon. Now a days if you can play it doesn't really matter what you do off the field. I want a coach with some ethics. I like Gundys approach much better. His star rb beats a woman and gets kicked off immediately.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta love when the OU haters come out of the woodworks. Mixon may have said some crap but he didn't need to be slapped for it. He over reacted by hitting her but that was a spur of the moment decision. Singing a racist song on a bus is not a spur of the moment decision, it is a group decision that nobody said "stop singing this crap" and thus they are being reprimanded. I have no comment on the basketball team since I didn't hear what they said. I'm sure it wasn't along the lines of "hang them in a tree" so it couldn't be considered threatening.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I think kicking those kids out was overreaching.

As for the other thing, I am a fan of a school whose coaches regularly kick a-holes off the team, putting ethics over winning. But then again, OSU didn't take congress's money to buy players back in the 30s either. Some traditions die hard.

How about graduating players that couldn't read or write? Surely OSU would NEVER do that. Since we are talking about long past?

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Morals aside, Stoops is holding OU down. Yall are in the same boat as Georgia. He won yall a championship but that was 15 years ago. Him and Mark Stoops need to go coach a girls soccer team somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about graduating players that couldn't read or write? Surely OSU would NEVER do that. Since we are talking about long past?

Some schools change their ways, while other perpetuate it. OU still skirts the rules at every turn. That was the point. Dexter Manley is a really good example of how bad things got in the 1980s under Jimmy Johnson who was the one that got us in trouble in the first place.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some schools change their ways, while other perpetuate it. OU still skirts the rules at every turn. That was the point. Dexter Manley is a really good example of how bad things got in the 1980s under Jimmy Johnson who was the one that got us in trouble in the first place.

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-new...niversity-found-responsible-sexual-misconduct

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/30/osu-sexual-assault-coverage_n_2385949.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/17/oklahoma-state-sexual-assault-report_n_2317687.html

Yep.... impeccable integrity in Stoolwater there is.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Take off your orange glasses. OSU is every bit as dirty as any of the major programs. All of them do questionable things and all of them do plenty of good for the community. If you don't see that, you are just being a superfan. Don't forget about this.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure it wasn't along the lines of "hang them in a tree" so it couldn't be considered threatening.

Who exactly were the frat boys threatening? No one was injured on the bus, no one was directly threatened on the bus - in fact, it was a childish chant in a private setting. A chick was injured, homophobic slurs were spoken in a public place, yet one gets to stay, the others are expelled. Sounds like a double standard to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom