Where do atheists get their morality?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Christain values from the past 2000 plus years? They can deny it all they want and say that its human nature but Id put my money on that if it wasnt for the past 2000 years of christianty the world would be alot worse off than it is now.

I dunno where to start with this one..... but there's millions of dead throughout history that I'd wager would argue with this. Since it's close to home.... how did those values come into play with the Native Americans?

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would a Christian even start this thread? To stroke their ego? To say that they are right no matter what because they believe they are? Instead of just letting people go along with their lives you want to say they are influenced by God whether they believe it or not and they should start believing. Who is the one who will judge me when I die? If it is your god so be it, if it is the roman gods so be it, if it's a plate of spaghetti so be it. Why question where a good man got his goodness from? Because you can't just let them be good without a reason for it.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno where to start with this one..... but there's millions of dead throughout history that I'd wager would argue with this. Since it's close to home.... how did those values come into play with the Native Americans?

Replace christianty with just about any religion you want and that would be the root of just about any groups values and beilefs. Native Americans are a very religious and spiritual people. Are you saying that those religious and spitiual beliefs played no part in forming their vaules as a people? My statement was directed more at current times.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And that would probably be shortly after they committed the same acts themselves. Only difference, they get to use the copouts that "all men are sinners", and they "asked for forgiveness". Pretty cool deal to be a perpetual sinner like the rest of society's dregs, but be able to use the perpetual get out of jail free card with an "I'm sorry, God".

Thats a protestant deal. Not all Christians belive its that simple

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Replace christianty with just about any religion you want and that would be the root of just about any groups values and beilefs. Native Americans are a very religious and spiritual people. Are you saying that those religious and spitiual beliefs played no part in forming their vaules as a people? My statement was directed more at current times.

Who slaughtered the Native Americans and forced them to move? You're the one that said that it wasn't for the past 2000 years of Christianity then the world would be worse off. Well, history doesn't really relay that and I understand most christians won't admit how murderous it's followers have been throughout history. Again, consider what happened to the Native Indians, methinks it should be obvious they would've been MUCH better off without christians. How about christian men beating and murdering slaves in the south?

DrinkYourMilkshake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would a Christian even start this thread? To stroke their ego? To say that they are right no matter what because they believe they are? Instead of just letting people go along with their lives you want to say they are influenced by God whether they believe it or not and they should start believing. Who is the one who will judge me when I die? If it is your god so be it, if it is the roman gods so be it, if it's a plate of spaghetti so be it. Why question where a good man got his goodness from? Because you can't just let them be good without a reason for it.

Exactly. This exemplifies my thoughts that violence is a mankind thing not a religion thing. This very thread represents mans' desire to group and be against other groups. Can't be as simple as "Good People" and "Bad People". We have to break down the "Good People" into groups, including something as asinine as "Where did they get their good from."

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are people who believe you shouldn't be ashithead because it's just the right thing to do.

I am a Christian. If people are good people and dont believe in a higher power then that is fine. I disagree but I'm ok with people having different views. I'd still be glad to call you my friend even if you were not a believer.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asked this question of another group I'm in and got a great Darwinian response.

Evolution. Our ethics are an evolved behavior same as a dog circling its bed. We just think they're special because our intelligence gives us hubris.

Those of us with an empathy behavior apparently succeeded as social creatures much better than those without. We bred more, so there are more of us, so we win. That empathy behavior forms the basis of the one near-universal ethical principle: do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Our biological drive for survival forms the basis of our other, corollary ethical principle: do unto others before they do unto you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom