I need some opinions!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alrighty, I need some opinions about somethin'.
I'm thinking about getting rid of my S&W Model 66 for a Colt XSE Combat Commander.
What's different about my S&W from a regular one is that it has a pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, it's a "no dash," and it was one of the models that had the magnetic ring capability.
I did disable the magnetic safety in it though.

My dad says I ought ta' keep it so I can always have a good revolver around because of if SHTF and I had no magazines for my semis, I have a revolver which clearly don't need mags.
It is a really good point he's making, but I am already looking into getting another revolver here soon, which is either gonna' be the Charter Arms Pitbull in .40S&W or a S&W 649.

This Colt though is really dang slick and it's only $700, which is a killer price to me!
So I'm thinking really hard about this one, because I do like my 66 but that Colt is just to cool and I've been looking for a good 1911 Commander model for a minute now.
It's one of those things if you pass it up you may never get that opportunity again, get what I'm sayin?

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dads is kinda smart now and then. Think seriously about giving up a pinned and recessed K-frame for the Colt. If you end up regretting selling off the Smith, you'll have a lot harder time finding a decent deal on another one down the road than you will have finding another deal on the 1911.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There will Always be another opportunity,
Knowing Of your Father , if He said keep it ...I Would, He might just know , something...;/

Are you sure you have to get rid of a good gun to buy another? I kind of like collecting them.

Dads is kinda smart now and then. Think seriously about giving up a pinned and recessed K-frame for the Colt. If you end up regretting selling off the Smith, you'll have a lot harder time finding a decent deal on another one down the road than you will have finding another deal on the 1911.

Yeah, I'mma get rid of her ta' get that Colt.
The three pistols I'mma try and get is the SS Colt XSE Combat Commander, Walther PPQ M2, or the HK VP9.
which ever one I end uo gettin', I'mma be happy but I'll still have love for my 66.
Besides, my next revolver is either gonna be the Charter Arms Pitbull (.40S&W), S&W 325, S&W 625, S&W 686 (6 or 8 shot only!), S&W 627 (6 or 8 shot only!), S&W 629, Taurus 608 SS, Ruger SP101 DAO (.357Magnum), Ruger LCRx (3in., .357Magnum), as ESPECIALLY s S&W 649 (.357Magnum).
So losing this one will hurt a lil' bit, but I'll have something badass in return.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can always find 1911 deals.... and the Colt isn't the end all be all of 1911s. They no longer make those S&Ws like they used to. Honestly, I'd keep it, and that's coming from a 1911 fanboy.

Pharr Shot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always find 1911 deals.... and the Colt isn't the end all be all of 1911s. They no longer make those S&Ws like they used to. Honestly, I'd keep it, and that's coming from a 1911 fanboy.

Ain't that the truth on S&W's.
I know Colt ain't the end all to be all, but this one just, I don't know, just somethin' 'bout it. I really can't lay a finger on it. There's just somethin' about that particular 1911.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me, there's no way I'd give up a pinned and recessed 66 for a 1911.

BUT, it's your gun, you do want you want to do with it. I've regretted many trades and sales after the fact. I have only one gun I've ever regretted I sold AND gotten back. It has history with me and now that gun will now be with me till I die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom