Any green thumbs in the house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My fiancé and I have been trying to get grass to grow in the backyard for two years and not having much luck, it is pretty shaded in the area where it's not growing too good, I did trim
LImbs back last year to allow more light in, I sowed about 45-55 lbs of fescue seed last year, it started out looking like we made it but then kinda petered out and is now very sparse? Any ideas or suggestions???

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it get morning, full, or evening sun? I've noticed that starting from seed often requires several sowings.
I've also heard that it's better to sow seed in the fall, and lay sod in the spring. Also, don't mow below 3 inches.

Last thing, big and established trees often get most of their water from shallow roots up-to or more than 60ft away from the main trunk (depending on the size and type of tree). New grass seedlings are gonna get their butts whipped by the tree. In that case, there may not be much hope for grass. Make a little patio with some chairs and a table out of that area :)

Hope that helps.

check out this site for great tips for just about anything related to the garden

http://www.gardensalive.com

they also sell products, don't be put off by that.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to your OSU County Extension office to rent a soil sample tool, and pay the ~$10 fee for the soil testing to see what nutrients the grass and trees need. Best $10 I ever spent on my yard.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to your OSU County Extension office to rent a soil sample tool, and pay the ~$10 fee for the soil testing to see what nutrients the grass and trees need. Best $10 I ever spent on my yard.

+1+1+1.
If your soil won't support the type of grass your wanting to plant, your spinning your wheels. Same goes for your garden.

The type of trees you have on the property may very well have an effect on the grass. Some trees like silver maples and others that are shallow rooted put out a natural herbicide that won't allow grass to grow around their roots that would deny them nutrients.

What type of trees do you have?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In addition to the above suggestions, most people cut Fescue too short. It needs the length to keep the roots shaded and not burn it out. In the summer I cut mine at the highest level on my mower. It also needs A LOT of water....

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny, my neighbor has tried multiple times to establish his yard. He's had the soil tested, tilled the yard, you name it. Every single time as the grass starts growing I see him out there on his riding mower cutting the baby Fescue really short. That coupled with too much shade from his trees(he won't get them trimmed) and the grass never gets established. Fesuce needs sun light, it will actually grow quite well in full sun, you just need to water the heck out of it if it is.

So that would be another tidbit, let the grass get established before you let traffic on it, or mow it. I tend to go 6-8 weeks, it looks a little ragged near the time I first cut it, but it always survives.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
With our summer heat, sw blowtorch winds and low humidity, fescue won't make it with out shade and a lot of water. Tulsa humid may make the difference.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shade means fescue and lots of water. Stupid amounts of water. Mow tall to keep it from drying out. Oh also water the piss outta fescue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom