Anderson AM 15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I traded a rifle for an Anderson AM 15 yesterday. The rifle is said to be new and unfired, which it appears to be. The lower has Andersons's stainless steel trigger and hammer. It has a utg milspec buffer tube and a utg stock. It has a seekins free float rail as well. I don't know if the rifle is a 100% anderson or if it was pieced together. The rifle looks great and I am happy with it. I do however have a problem with it. When I first looked at it the rear takedown pin was very hard to push out. I thought it was just tight from being new. (I have had that happen on other rifles.) So hard that I couldn't do it without using a punch. Once out the upper came off with no trouble and everything looks normal. When i put the upper back on the lower it matches up fine. But when I push the rear pin in I have to tap it to get it to go in all the way. Could it be that the holes are misaligned? Other than that there are no issues that I can see. The upper has a splintered A forge mark and the lower is a keyhole. The barrel is marked R 5.56 NATO 1x7. It is an m4 profile. The bcg is also jet black instead of being parkerized. It is also a full auto carrier. Any help would be appreciated. I forgot to mention that when I charge the rifle it moves freely as it should. Everything works properly except for the rear pin. Just wish I knew if it were all Anderson or not. Any ideas?

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like a pieced together AR. The takedown pin holes are fine, just tight tolerances with the upper. I have had a lot of AR's over the years like this. It will eventually get looser. Better tight than loose!

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah I'd imagine that it is put together. Some people put a "premium" on factory built ARs, I don't. I have built a few ARs over the last few year and they preformed as well as the factory built ARs. I prefer building from the ground up with all of the exact parts that I like.

I use g96 or balistol to clean lube and protect my guns. Maybe when you clean it spray the pin with just a little and work it a few times. If it still bothers you can switch the detent/spring and maybe pin. FBT has all that stuff if you need it. Or keep it tight.
Enjoy your new rifle.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
all of my Anderson builds have been very tight. the take downs needed a bit of tapping to get them to move and then they were fine. I like it tight.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just looked at an Anderson barrel I have and it is marked 1:8. The BCG could be dark parkerizing, nitride, Cerakote, oxide, etc. There really isn't any way of knowing for sure. Any marking on the bolt itself?

Last edited:

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just looked at an Anderson barrel I have and it is marked 1:8. The BCG could be dark parkerizing, nitride, Cerakote, oxide, etc. There really isn't any way of knowing for sure. Any marking on the bolt itself?
I didn't see any marks on it. I figured it would be a long shot. I know that anderson makes a 1x7 barrel. But who knows if that's it or not. As long as it runs good I really don't care. Just wanted to maybe find out who it could possibly be.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all of my Anderson builds have been very tight. the take downs needed a bit of tapping to get them to move and then they were fine. I like it tight.

Me too ;) But if you prefer to break her down a little easier, you can do a number of things. YHM and many others make take down/pivot pin sets, or you could take that stock off, carefully so that spring doesn't fly across the room and disappear, then clip off a couple 3 coils and put it back in and back together. I tap my detent pin in and cap off with a 4-40 set screw, makes changing the stock easy as everything and requires clip the spring a little. Won't hurt a thing, but this is only my opinion, and it is free, so you get what you pay for. It works perfectly for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom