Chicken help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to have chickens for laying so I was at Atwoods the other day and
bought 6 chicks. 3 are black and 3 are yellow. I asked for help identifying what kind they were and no one could tell me. Had a tub of straight run which they said weren't
sexed and could be male or female and another tub that was supposed to be all female.
So I bought 3 black and 3 yellow but have no idea what kind they are. Anyone wnat to
make an educated guess?

By the way, they are 5 days going since I bought them and all are doing great. Hopefully
I can get a picture up in helping to identify what they are. Buy I thought maybe
Atwoods sell the same kind of chickens every year. I'm a noob at this so I have
absolutly no idea what kind they are or would even venture to make a guess.

Feeding them crumbles, gravel and have a waterer set up and a heat lamp to keep
em warm. Using saw shavings for bedding and all this is in a large plastic tote.
Looks like making a coop is in the near future. Wouldn't mind having a rooster
but with neighbors close by, I don't want to bother them with a noisy bird.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the black ones might be Dominc and the yellow ones (which will turn white later) might be leghorns, from past expereince the straight runs is usually all males with a few females mixed in. But it will be hard to tell now days with places dyeing their chicks for easter they could all come out leghorns when they replace their feathers.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks, picked up two more that are road island reds. They are the only two I know what they are. Lol

Oh and i didn't exxplain very well in my first post but i bought the chicks not in the straight run tub, but from the tub that was supposed to be all hens. They all had a band clipped to their wing to identify them as female.

53convert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you stick with it and like it then I would suggest you consider getting English or Speckled sussexx,,,,,,,,good medium sized birds and great layers.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering some egg layers.

I recently saw Badge Bunny said that ducks were better layers and not as nasty as chickens? It was awhile back, so I'm dusty on details.

Details from BB or anybody else?

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Red Star chickens, for layers. They are basically color coded with a sex linked color, so there is no danger you will end up with roosters instead of hens. I keep mine in a chicken tractor, so I can move it from spot to spot. That keeps the smell down, as long as the tractor is moved every couple of days. The advantage of the tractor is that it keeps the hens safe and allows them access to fresh grass like a free range hen.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jersey Black Giants are long lived and begin laying sooner than what they are said to. Straight run is good with these birds if you want the males for the freezer, they will make cornish game hen size in 8 weeks and be very tender. Ours are beginning to die off from old age, they are ten years old. I found another one dead in the chicken house last week. But they have had a good life. Half of them are still laying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom