Hummingbird 2015 thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I live a few miles north of Lake Texoma here in Southern Oklahoma, and I saw my first confirmed hummingbird sighting this year. The little bugger came in for a drink, from the feeder, and was rebuffed by a red wasp. It then went and landed on a limb in a sycamore tree in the yard, so I got a good look at it. So hang your feeders folks if they aren't in your part of Oklahoma yet, they soon will be.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lucky You!!!!!!!

I have everything and even birds that aren't supposed to be here land in my back yard at the feeders but when I hang food for hummers........NOTHING!!!

I get these bad boys in my yard eating sparrows and pigeons....and let me tell you what, they hit those sparrows and pigeons with full force. Knocking them down on the ground eating them while they're still alive!!!!!!!

www.nps.gov_cacl_learn_nature_images_Kestrel.jpg

I get Golden Headed Blackbirds......which I don't think are supposed to be in Oklahoma
www.allaboutbirds.org_guide_PHOTO_LARGE_yh_blackbird_ganeshjayaraman.jpg

I get a bunch of these little guys.......
tnwatchablewildlife.org_files_similar_species_HOFI_M.jpg

All kinds of chickadees, yellow finches, doves, cowbirds, redwing blackbirds, I even have a cluster of meadow larks in my backyard AND I live in a fairly urban area North of Quail Springs Mall.

But I'll be danged if I can get a hummer into my yard!!!

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cohiba, I saw one of those golden headed black birds on the Winstar golf course in Thackerville, either last year or the year before. I've lived in Oklahoma my whole 50+ years and that is the only one I have ever witnessed. So I think you are pretty lucky too! Those are some good looking little raptors too, I love watching most birds, but raptors are my favorite.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to wait another week or so, but threw mine out tonight after reading this thread…we'll see what happens!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just told my wife about this thread. By the end of summer we usually have 20-30 hummingbirds. The folks at the grocery store think I'm a bootlegger with all the sugar we have to buy.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oooo...

Sounds like I need to seek out our feeder. We had a bunch of them here in Colorado last summer when we arrived here, but I just didn't find the feeder. Time to look again, because as quickly as some of those little guys migrate, they could be here fairly soon.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
YHBBs aren't common in OK, but I've seen a few over the past few years. They're more of a northern bird, but a few make it down here. They're all over the place in the Tetons and Yellowstone.

We'll probably fill our feeders in the next couple of weeks. We get a ton of the little fellers fighting over our two feeders. They're really entertaining to watch, and my little girls love them.

Yep, won't be long before I'm getting more hummers in my yard than I know what to do with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom