Stripped screw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got myself into a pickle
I stripped the side plate screw of a 1973 :disappoin
This is the first time I've tried to take the plate off. I think the previous owner(s) overtightened the damn screw.

Replacing the screw is not a problem, I found a replacement screw kit.

How do i get the dammed thing out? I don't want to take power tools to it, so should I take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^Yes, i think that is the case. ill try to post a picture asap.

photo 6.jpg
photo 7.jpg

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Looks like an uberti. Notoriously soft screws, make sure you get the hardened replacement.

To get that out, you need a good set of gunsmith drivers, maybe a set of needle files and patience.

Really, you might be better served to take it to a smith as you risk scratching that color case finish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might have one shot of doing it yourself. I've had a lot of off road ATV's and Cycles over the years. Stripped screw heads seem to be the norm.
if the area where the screw is well supported internally, you can probably get it out with this: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG Used this to get many screws out that look worse than yours.

If its not well supported internally, best to get it to a smith.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like an uberti. Notoriously soft screws, make sure you get the hardened replacement.
Yes Uberti. I will make sure of that, these screws are almost butter soft
To get that out, you need a good set of gunsmith drivers, maybe a set of needle files and patience.

Really, you might be better served to take it to a smith as you risk scratching that color case finish.
I think I'll check with a smithy

Thank you both

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis, this screw is not supported at all inside. It spans the inside of the reciever and holds the two side plates in the opening.

I've managed to get a buggered side-plate screw out of an Uberti 73, but it took a full set of Brownells screwdriver bits to get one that fit the now oversized slot.

you could also very carefully drill the head off the screw, freeing the two side plates, then you could remove the side plates with the rest of the screw still in the right plate, grab the shank of the screw with a set of vise-grips and get it out. since you're replacing the screw anyway.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wheeler Engineering 89 piece gunsmithing screwdriver kit is pretty decent and worth the expense if you plan on taking very many guns apart.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, this screw is not supported at all inside. It spans the inside of the reciever and holds the two side plates in the opening.

I've managed to get a buggered side-plate screw out of an Uberti 73, but it took a full set of Brownells screwdriver bits to get one that fit the now oversized slot.

you could also very carefully drill the head off the screw, freeing the two side plates, then you could remove the side plates with the rest of the screw still in the right plate, grab the shank of the screw with a set of vise-grips and get it out. since you're replacing the screw anyway.

I'm not familiar with the action, that's why I said it has to be well supported inside. Better have the right equipment to drill/mill the screw head off. Things can go wrong in a heart beat.
I wouldn't do it on a gun, but saw a guy that tig welded a post on top of a stripped screw head, put a nut over the post, welded the post to the nut and used a pneumatic impact wrench to remove the screw. Guy was a heck of a tig welder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom