2015 Spring Turkey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got back Friday night from 7 days of hunting in 3 states, for a total of 5 birds. My dad drove from Florida to Arkansas and I met him there. Opening morning we put a 65 year old hunter on his first ever bird so that was pretty awesome. Weather sucked all weekend and it was hard to tell the difference between turkeys and mosquitos. Sunday night and Monday I was able to connect on birds though, so we packed up and headed to OK.

Tuesday morning we chased a bird for 3 hours before we could make a shot. I wanted my dad to get a shot, but he had messed us up on a couple birds in Arkansas and could not get a good shot so I went ahead and took it. It was an awesome hunt to work a bird that long and having to belly crawl for the shot.

Wednesday we headed to Kansas, between Wednesday and Friday I saw more birds than my entire life combined. Birds gobble in every direction it is hard to decide where to go. My dad is not a spry chicken anymore and all the hunting and travel was starting to really show. We got greedy and tried to limit at the same time.... ended up with nothing! First time I have ever missed a turkey (or two). We had 5 Toms but we were just set up in a bad spot and should have let them pass and then circle back to them, but the fever was on. I ended up getting one on Thursday and another Friday and headed home. My dad stayed and missed last night but got one this morning.

It was a good time with my dad, I have not seen him in over a year since he retired to Florida. This trip was more for the time together than the killing. He has been in on over a dozen turkey kills this year in 4 states. He is going to visit my sister in MO and is trying to line up a hunt there, so that would be pretty awesome. This has been a great turkey season and it is not even over yet!

Last edited:

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My brother and I doubled on a couple of lunker toms a couple weeks ago.. His had a double beard, mine had a triple beard...

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_IMG_0027.jpg

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20150418_092022.jpg

Saturday I got one with my bow, I was using the magnus bullhead broadheads.. shot was 10 yards with no blind, that head jacked him up..

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20150425_211259.jpg

Been a hell of a season so far.. lots of birds this year..
Congrats to everyone else who's been successful!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The German - Your Father passed on to you a great tradition of hunting as evidenced by your story. Would you be willing to help the Oklahoma Youth Hunting Program pass this tradition on to a young person this Fall during the special youth deer hunt weekend? We need people of your caliber to assist the children and their mentors on the child's first hunt. Please send me a pm if you are willing to help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom