Nonresident permit stop in OK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are are no legal issues with doing that, as long as state-issued photo ID is carried as well and presented as well if asked, but there may be some, ahem, "human" issues.

I have a Maine NR license, and have been stopped with it a few times. One Norman cop told me that he didn't think Oklahoma honored it, and supposedly got on the phone with an attorney at OSBI who supposedly told him that it was indeed not honored by OK, because there is "no compact between those states," but that he was going to "let me off this time." :yikes2:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive seen many posts and threads about NR permits but Im curious as to why a person living full time in OK wouldnt want to have an OK permit. I live part time in 2 other states during the year but spend more than six months in OK so legally Ive made it my permament full time home since I moved here and have had my DL and CC permit here from here since Ive been here. Just curious...

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The AZ permit costs less, and you can get it quicker.

I have decided to go this route in getting my permit.

firefighterguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive seen many posts and threads about NR permits but Im curious as to why a person living full time in OK wouldnt want to have an OK permit. I live part time in 2 other states during the year but spend more than six months in OK so legally Ive made it my permament full time home since I moved here and have had my DL and CC permit here from here since Ive been here. Just curious...

I've lived in Oklahoma my whole life. I did it because it was about $150 cheaper with half the wait time. I also took the class in my living room in about 15 minutes.

When it expires I will get an Oklahoma one but I could get this one quicker and it seemed like a no brainier.

I will admit I do worry about running into some cop who doesn't know about reciprocity laws but I figure that hopefully won't be in Edmond/okc which is mostly where I travel.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OK license expires as soon as you move out of state so you are unprotected until you complete the next state's process if that state is a carry state - if not you still have an AZ permit for other states you visit. Cheaper. Less hassle (you don't have to file in person). Your name is not on some in-state list that may be published so thieves/gungrabbers can get your address (can anyone say paranoid?). I will get an OK license someday when I have the time to take the class and can afford to miss work to go to the Sheriff's office for fingerprinting and pictures etc. I have never had contact with LE since obtaining the AZ permit and was just wondering what other people's experience have been. If you are for constitutional carry and or national reciprocity I don't see that it makes any difference where the permit was issued. As for the relevance of not taking the OK carry class, I have sat in on two separate OK classes and one in Arkansas and, except for the law portion (which is about 95% of the "training") the rest was a farce. You don't learn to handle guns in an SDA class and you don't learn how to shoot in one either. The portion where you demonstrate competence with a firearm is also a joke - I mean has anyone heard of anyone failing the shooting part?

Latest posts

Top Bottom