Best 1st shotgun for my daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My daughter's 10, and I want to take her out shoot skeet for the first time.

So what are some good options?

I'm assuming I should probably get a 20 gauge, bu maybe someone has some reasons why its better to start with a 16 gauge?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely a 20ga with a stock that fits her in a semi auto or OU. An ill-fitting stock is an abomination and will cause learning problems.
16ga is an orphan in skeet, and the 16ga ammo choices are limited and more expensive. I load 16ga for an old Browning Sweet 16 for a hunter that loves it, and believe me you don't want to get a 16ga for skeet, nor get into loading for it if you don't have to. Neither Win nor Rem make the good one-piece hulls for 16 anymore.

Skeet groups are 12, 20, 28, and .410. 12 and 20 ga ammunition is plentiful and reasonably priced (for today's world).
I now shoot a Browning 20ga OU for skeet, and usually when I miss, a 10ga would not have helped. 7/8oz 9s are economical and easy on the shoulder, and I saw both Win AA and Rem STS at Walmart. Those compression formed one-piece hulls reload beautifully with Claybuster wads.

I bought a Remington light 20 1100 way back when they were available for around $400, so I'm not a good source for what affordable equivalent you can get new now. Used is usually more affordable, but harder to find the right gun. Good luck!

Last edited:

justin_h635

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Definitely a 20ga with a stock that fits her in a semi auto or OU. An ill-fitting stock is an abomination and will cause learning problems.
16ga is an orphan in skeet, and the 16ga ammo choices are limited and more expensive. I load 16ga for an old Browning Sweet 16 for a hunter that loves it, and believe me you don't want to get a 16ga for skeet, nor get into loading for it if you don't have to. Neither Win nor Rem make the good one-piece hulls for 16 anymore.

Skeet groups are 12, 20, 28, and .410. 12 and 20 ga ammunition is plentiful and reasonably priced (for today's world).
I now shoot a Browning 20ga OU for skeet, and usually when I miss, a 10ga would not have helped. 7/8oz 9s are economical and easy on the shoulder, and I saw both Win AA and Rem STS at Walmart. Those compression formed one-piece hulls reload beautifully with Claybuster wads.

I bought a Remington light 20 1100 way back when they were available for around $400, so I'm not a good source for what affordable equivalent you can get new now. Used is usually more affordable, but harder to find the right gun. Good luck!

20 ga and semi-only. Some believe that 20s have limited recoil however for a smaller framed individual a 20 plump gun or o/u can leave a jolt that can develop bad habits and remove the fun.
As for what to buy, that depends on your budget.

Couple of choices that come to mind in the 1k range are Beretta A400 or if youth size is needed, Beretta al 391 urika youth. For under $500 the Weatherby SA-08 gets excellent reviews.

dc4ou

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
20 gauge semi auto or 410. I bought my 8 year old boy a 20 gauge pump and it was way too much recoil. It made him recoil sensitive for years. I had to sell a gun to get him a Benelli Montefeltro youth. It was still a little too much for him when he was 9. He is 11 now and it is starting to fit him better. He had a 410 that was fine, however 4H shooting does not allow 410s.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A .410 for skeet is not a beginners gun, IMHO.
You want them to be successful.

When my son turned 9, I found an 870 20ga. Cut the barrel to 23" , cut the chamber to 3" and had it threaded for choke tubes. Bought an old 870 buttstock and cut it off to fit him with an extra thick sorbithane recoil pad.

I found a 20 ga. load in that used AA hulls and wads that was equivalent to .28 ga skeet loads.

Took him to skeet range and he shot a 12 for his first round. No way you could wipe that grin off of him.

When duck season started, loaded him up with 3" 2s and his heavier clothing, he never noticed a difference. First duck to circle the seems, he dropped at 30 yards.

Added a shim to the recoil pad as he grew until finally putting the original stock back on.

5 yrs later and my buddy is giving the gun to his son.

10 yrs later, I get it back, when my grandson is born. Been through 4 of them, so far.

My advice, whatever you decide on; make it fit her,make it easy to make hits with, make it FUN.

Latest posts

Top Bottom