Retirement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a little over 4 years and I am ready. I'll be 50 then and too young to not continue to work so I'm going to try and end up in a gun store working part time for a few more years until the wife can retire too. I cant believe I already have 26 years in at this place...time does fly.

Sounds like we are the same age, but I can't quit that early. My kids are all still young. I'll be working until a few years after the last one is out of the house….which means about 60. At that point I might as well go a few more years and maximize whatever social security I can draw on top of two pensions and a 401K. We'll see!

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did it seven years ago, I highly recommend it. As stated earlier, I don't know how I ever found time to go to work!

One advantage was the lack of stress, so I was able to quit smoking a year after retiring. The biggest advantage happened this year when the our daughter moved from Edmond to the Seattle area and took our grandsons with them. So ......... we moved to the Seattle area. Couldn't have done that before retirement, commute would have been a killer.

Congratulations.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like we are the same age, but I can't quit that early. My kids are all still young. I'll be working until a few years after the last one is out of the house….which means about 60. At that point I might as well go a few more years and maximize whatever social security I can draw on top of two pensions and a 401K. We'll see!
Enjoy them kids, mine is 17 and has one more year of HS then off to college so that will create mixed emotions in the house. He should be done with college about the time I am eligible to retire here so that will work out good. The house will be paid off by then too so I can draw my pension and work part time or full time - whatever I want to do. Working and knowing I dont have to will be a real nice feeling.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, sometimes I envy folks who started families early, even if those early years were tough (as younger folks with less income). When I retired from the military, all of my peers were seeing their last kids out the door and I still had one in diapers!

gun001guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive been with the State of Oklahoma for 15 years so ive got a few years left myself. I had my oldest kid when I was 17 or a senior in high school. Life was tough for several years but you know looking back we sure had a lot a fun with not a lot of money. When my oldest son turned 16 me and my wife had out second child and then four years later our daughter. So I have a grown son just turned 27 and two at home 7 and 11. Crazy but I love it.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After about a year time will start moving faster. If you have a good replacement for work, travel, beer making, bonsai cultivation, it helps.

That's an interesting comment, Cinaet, that time starts moving faster after about a year. I had looked at nearing retirement age as nearing a finish line in a distance run. Now I am less certain that the finish line is so enticing...

Latest posts

Top Bottom