Retirement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I retired in 2001 at age 55. The company was wanting to reduce forces and offered a buyout and added 5 years to age and 5 to service so when I went out the door, for retirement purposes I had 35 years of service and 60 years of age. I had a chance to go back as a contractor and laughed at them. I still have lunch with the guys who worked for me, but I sure don't miss the corporation. You will absolutely love retirement unless there is something wrong upstairs... Enjoy

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having things to do is key. I've talked to several that retired that had no hobby's, didn't fish, didn't hunt, just retired to a couch and the TV. They couldn't stand the boredom and went back to work.

In 12 1/2 months, I can only think of one afternoon I was bored.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having things to do is key. I've talked to several that retired that had no hobby's, didn't fish, didn't hunt, just retired to a couch and the TV. They couldn't stand the boredom and went back to work.

In 12 1/2 months, I can only think of one afternoon I was bored.

I agree with this. We always figured my dad would die in his office. One day, he decided enough was enough and let his employer know the timeline for his retirement. He stayed on for about a year so that they could get his replacement set up and all of the loose ends tied up. He walked out and never looked back. He golfs several times a week, goes to the movies with my mom, is on the board for a golf course, and spends a lot of time with my nieces. My parents moved closer to my sister because they wanted to spend time with her daughters. I talk to him every day and he is loving life. You absolutely HAVE to have hobbies and things you enjoy. If not, you may not last long!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with this. We always figured my dad would die in his office. One day, he decided enough was enough and let his employer know the timeline for his retirement. He stayed on for about a year so that they could get his replacement set up and all of the loose ends tied up. He walked out and never looked back. He golfs several times a week, goes to the movies with my mom, is on the board for a golf course, and spends a lot of time with my nieces. My parents moved closer to my sister because they wanted to spend time with her daughters. I talk to him every day and he is loving life. You absolutely HAVE to have hobbies and things you enjoy. If not, you may not last long!

My dad lasted 2 1/2 years on the couch, entertained by the TV and cigarettes. He never hunted, quit fishing when I was a teen, and did nothing but dote on mom.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not worried about getting bored! I have a ton of components ready for reloading, several rifles that I need to work up loads for, I figure I'll get back into some fishing, spend more time on the motorcycle including some week-end road trips, I need to clean up and organize my reloading bench, my garage, and my office, and on and on. We're planning some short trips initially. My wife has never even been to the Wichita Mountains. We want to go back to the Chickasaw Cultural Center. We've been once, but the weather was lousy (it actually rained!) and we didn't get to see and do everything we wanted. I think we need a trip on the Heartland Flyer (she's never been on a train, either, except for a short excursion from Enid to Okeene and back). If anybody has more ideas for 'short' trips, please let me know!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not worried about getting bored! I have a ton of components ready for reloading, several rifles that I need to work up loads for, I figure I'll get back into some fishing, spend more time on the motorcycle including some week-end road trips, I need to clean up and organize my reloading bench, my garage, and my office, and on and on. We're planning some short trips initially. My wife has never even been to the Wichita Mountains. We want to go back to the Chickasaw Cultural Center. We've been once, but the weather was lousy (it actually rained!) and we didn't get to see and do everything we wanted. I think we need a trip on the Heartland Flyer (she's never been on a train, either, except for a short excursion from Enid to Okeene and back). If anybody has more ideas for 'short' trips, please let me know!

Don, here is one thing you will notice after retiring. What you used to accomplish in an hour or two after work will take a day or two to complete when you retire. :D That's just the way it goes. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom