Real reason Wal-Mart closed stores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dry systems aren't used that much for temperature controlled buildings are they? I thought they were mostly used for when the temperature can drop below freezing....

audiophile

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't buy the plumbing excuse. How much plumbing can there be under those big slabs? There is not a bathroom every few feet! All the toilet facilities I've ever seen in those big buildings are around the perimeter. I don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet most plumbing would run under ground around the outside the building. At least that's how I would design such a building without a basement. And, sprinkler systems run overhead.

Woody
Actually we have quite a bit of plumbing under slab. Our main drainage system all runs to our lower bay where the oil/water separator is located. We have centrally located restrooms plus sinks in the photo lab, maintenance and claims areas. My store is just over 209k square foot and would hate to see what it would look like if they had to start tracking down plumbing issues. Whether it is true or not, don't really know but it is completely plausible.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually we have quite a bit of plumbing under slab. Our main drainage system all runs to our lower bay where the oil/water separator is located. We have centrally located restrooms plus sinks in the photo lab, maintenance and claims areas. My store is just over 209k square foot and would hate to see what it would look like if they had to start tracking down plumbing issues. Whether it is true or not, don't really know but it is completely plausible.

Is that a Walmart store?

Woody

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing Walmart, when they do reopen with the updated plumbing, it will have card readers at the urinals and crappers.
Another card reader to wash your hands tied to the door lock. Wash em or be locked in the crapper.

Hey....

....that might alleviate the problems caused by Lurker66.

I joked on the first reply, but this might be a very good possibility.
For whatever reason, overhead sprinkler systems are built with black pipe, not galvanized. They are pressurized so theoretically they shouldn't rust on the inside very much as there is no O2.
But, In my experience changing out some of the sprinkler heads that get a drip in the manufacturing facility I worked at, the smell of the water was disgusting and had all kinds of junk run out when the sprinkler head was removed.

You may be on to something.

Years ago, National Geographic ran a story in their magazine about water on a world-wide basis. Throughout the story, there were little blurbs of facts of water. The one I remember the most is that water is a universal solvent that will eventually "eat away" anything. In their article, they said that explained why old drinking glasses would break with just a light tap.

So, all the time that water is pressurized in those pipes, it's working on the metal.

I used that little factoid for years to avoid drinking water, but later on, my doctor didn't buy that as an excuse. Darn...had to cut back on sodas and iced tea.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
. My store is just over 209k square foot and would hate to see what it would look like if they had to start tracking down plumbing issues. Whether it is true or not, don't really know but it is completely plausible.

Really pretty simple. When I had a drain pipe collapse in my rental, I used a drain camera and pinpointed the collapsed line within a few inches from where we started hammering the concrete. I think they can build a new store from the ground up in 6 months with no unexpected delays.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Really pretty simple. When I had a drain pipe collapse in my rental, I used a drain camera and pinpointed the collapsed line within a few inches from where we started hammering the concrete. I think they can build a new store from the ground up in 6 months with no unexpected delays.

Google around a bit... For one SC they were going to begin grading the empty lot in August 2014 and hoped to open in 2016.

http://www.lodinews.com/news/article_cf00ac80-13d2-11e4-9f57-001a4bcf887a.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom