Sig Mosquito Problems....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got a good deal on a new Sig Mosquito, or so I thought. Took it to the range and it has some real issues with FTF / FTE and stove piping. So I did some research. Some (including Sig) say to only use CCI Mini Mags... I have about 8k rounds of .22 LR HV but not a single round of CCI and can't seem to locate any. I saw video after video that said the problem is with the feed ramp. They all said to file the ridge down and polish the feed ramp and it will reliably shoot about any HV round. The owner's manual said you can change the recoil spring (included) and use a lighter load. So... I took the barrel off and did just as the videos suggested and filed the ridge down and polished the ramp. Took it back to the range and tried again and it still won't shoot a full magazine (10 rounds) without multiple FTE/FTF or stove piping. Tried three different ammo and both the springs and it just will not work. I bought it new but I am reluctant to send it back to Sig since I have modified the ramp slightly. Does anyone know this gun or know anyone that can take a look at it for me and maybe make it work... gunsmith maybe...?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've read about this issue on a couple of other sites, everything was cured by using the CCI's...........not sure if that will be your fix or not, but those seem to be the cure and a magic bullet and solve Sig Mosquito woes.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was the same thing that was going on with mine. I used the lighter recoil spring and the hottest .22 I could find. Never did get it to go through a full magazine without any problems.

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand what everyone says about Mosquitos and CCI Mini Mags.... but the gun is sold as a .22 LR and I that is what I expect it to shoot. I don't have to get specific ammo for any of my other guns. Sig actually says on their website that the Mosquito should also work with "Winchester Super-X, Remington Golden Bullet, Federal High Velocity"... two of which I have tried with both springs and NO luck.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
When they first came out, they were so unreliable with non mini mag ammo, I was amazed that they continued production. Returns were incredible. This is why the Walther became so popular at the time, because it would eat any .22lr ammo.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Problems with those things are legion. As someone else said, it's hard to see how they are still making them. And, like others, I got rid of the problems with my 'skeeter by getting rid of the cursed thing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom