1951 Western Field 87-SB87-TA refinishing project. (picture heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it hot blue or cold blue?

Cold. I don't have the equipment for hot, unfortunately. And if you have questions feel free to PM me.

Any interest in a 1906-1907 Marlin 19-S ? Missing the fore-end but seems functional.

I always have an interest. Unfortunately I rarely have the money. Donations are always welcome though. :)

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That I am. Thank you.
Already started on the next one. A 1932 Hex Mosin 91/30. You should find it in the Milsurp forum when it's finished, assuming I can locate a spare hand guard for it soon. (FYI for the purists, I'm using a spare stock and leaving the original as is.)

Once that's done I'll be starting another Gill-gun reno...

A hint at future projects..
The current 1932 Hex Mosin 91/30 stock refinish
1948 Springfield 87A renovation
1949 Savage 6A - rejuvenating the finish
1990's SKS stock modification and refinish (again, using a spare stock and keeping the # matching one original)
and something yet undetermined with my 1942 Mosin 91/30

I have a spare handguard. Feel free to pm me if interested.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any interest in a 1906-1907 Marlin 19-S ? Missing the fore-end but seems functional.

View attachment 47596

Coz

The following is a direct quote from the Thirty First Edition of The Blue Book Of Gun Values, Marlin Firearms Company section.
Quote " During 1998, Marlin issued a service bulletin recommending that slide action exposed hammer Models 1898, 16.17, 19. 19S, 19G. 19N, 21,24, 26, 30, 42, 49 and 49N, in addition to hammerless Models 28,31, 43, 44, 53 and 63 should not be fired as many of these guns are 70 to 100 years old and system failures can and do happen" Unquote.

These guns have 2 1/2" chambers.

Serious problems will happen if used with current 2 3/4" shells.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't plan on shooting it. Inherited it from my wifes uncle. Would like a foreend to make it complete. I do appreciate the info as it seems to function properly. BTW... what does your blue book value it at?

Coz
The following is a direct quote from the Thirty First Edition of The Blue Book Of Gun Values, Marlin Firearms Company section.
Quote " During 1998, Marlin issued a service bulletin recommending that slide action exposed hammer Models 1898, 16.17, 19. 19S, 19G. 19N, 21,24, 26, 30, 42, 49 and 49N, in addition to hammerless Models 28,31, 43, 44, 53 and 63 should not be fired as many of these guns are 70 to 100 years old and system failures can and do happen" Unquote.

These guns have 2 1/2" chambers.

Serious problems will happen if used with current 2 3/4" shells.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it has been several months since I finished this I only recently got a chance to go to the range and test it. And.. it didn't work!?!?!?
It wasn't feeding from the magazine. The rounds kept jamming in the lifter. Every round would jam not just a few here and there. Eventually I had a round jam so bad I couldn't get it out. So went back home fully disappointed. I decided the only way to un-jam it was to disassemble the lifter. I started to loosen the first screw that held the lifter in place and "CLICK", it suddenly fed. I tightened the screw back down with the lifter in it's new "self-set" position. It now fully cycles by hand without a single issue. I have hand cycled it over 100 times now and not a single failure to feed. Hoping when I get it back to the range it will work as well as it does now by hand.

I think that I must have bound the lifter when I reassembled the rifle and then with the round in the lifter it forced it into alignment when I loosened the screw and allowed it to move a little.

Latest posts

Top Bottom