wine making My way, what is yours?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fleishmann's is your friend.
I have been dabbling in wine making redneck style in mason jars since I was about 16.
I did not use any yeast then and it turned out fine using grapes that were needing tossed out.

This past couple years I have been making gallon jugs and tries yeast from the wine store and ended up with yeasty tasting wine that I myself did not like and my favorite beer is the beast.. so I can drink most stuff.

So I went back to using Fleishmann's yeast from the grocery store which I researched and it is the same type of yeast as some wine brewers use.

My wine's made with juiced grapes always tastes better than when buying welches 100% grape juice.

I smash my grapes and then strain them sometimes I leave all the skins but this takes up volume in the jug and is harder to make clear.
So strained is best for me.
12 cups of juice and 2 cups of sugar that I dissolve on a couple cups of the juice that I have warmed to about 120 degrees.
I then pour it all into my jug and add 2 teaspoons of Fleishmanns yeast on top.. NOT mixing it in.

You can use a bubbler or a balloon to keep the air out.. I then hide it in the dark corner of a room or closet.. Usually in 21 days I siphon the clear out of the jug and into another jug it goes.
You can use milk jugs or even 2 liter bottles that are cleaned very well...Or mason jars. My favorite.

Let it sit a few more days and you will get settling of stuff in the bottom.. you can again siphon it off into another container.

You can stick it in the fridge to allow more settling..

I have made it from banana's recently and it tastes like banana's.. about 30 days to drinking stage.

Funny thing I made some from green and some from red grapes and the green is more pink and the red grape is more clear.

Funny how that works..
I like my wine as do a few friends.. quick and easy.

How do you guys make wine if you do?
Any vodka from potatoes being made here?? That will be my next task.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
X2 on the Fleishmann's yeast over the wine store version. Made blackberry and cranberry wine 5 gallons at a time for years, made blackberry brandy once as well........that took along time to drink............you may have inspired me to dig my gear back out!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife makes wine in a 5 gal carboy and she buys the wine kits from the brew shop. It's like making a cake from a box more than the way you do it but she likes doing it and I like drinking it. lol

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done both the fresh fruit and wine mix from the wine making store. My best wines were from the mix, but all were drinkable except for a batch of peach I made once that would never clear. Probably the acid content. Haven't made any in years, but still have the glass 5 gallon carboy...

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never done homemade myself, but almost tried once.... When I lived in CA I rented a house that had an old grapevine stump that I was able to revive. The grapes were small, green and super sweet(wasn't sure it would make a good wine). Ended up just eating most of the grapes and they were delicious!

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0187.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is a nice bunch of grapes.. I would eat as many as I could also.

I made some blueberry syrup from the juice from a can of berries that I made pancakes out of.
The syrup was just sugar and juice cooked on low heat and thickened a bit.. I stuck it in a mason jar in the fridge and forgot about it.

a few months later I found it and the lid was swelled up..I know what that means.. I opened it up and sure enough it had fermented in the fridge door.
It was full blown wine with a good content of alcohol.

Only thing I can figure out is that there must have been some natural yeasts on those canned Oregon blueberries.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I make mine from the kits. No screw ups, and nice flavors.
Not into the sweet wines personally.
My tastes run to Merlot's and Shiraz.
Got a 6 gallon glass carboy, corker, synthetic corks, etc.
Found the wine ages really good in a one year period. Stays good for about another year and finally starts breaking down. If it had a more temp controlled area to age, I suspect it would last longer.
Got on a kick a couple of years ago making wine, usually just break it out on birthdays or holidays. The stash is running low.
We have a golden delicious apple tree. Been thinking of trying to make some hard Apple cider this fall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom