Oil Earthquakes confirmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of us already knew this (whether we denied it or not) but it appears the Oklahoma Geological Survey has pointed to oil/gas industry activity as the cause of the 600x increase in seismicity in Oklahoma. Even the Corporation Commission can't politically avoid taking action. This of course doesn't stop the industry pundits from continually trying to cast doubt and I can only hope people can finally see them for what they are doing; making big dollars while shurking all responsibility. Perhaps people will realize that it isn't just earthquakes they are BSing about.

Interesting quotes:

Oklahoma Geological Survey said:
The Oklahoma Geological Survey considers it very likely that the majority of recent earthquakes, particularly those in central and north-central Oklahoma, are triggered by the injection of produced water in disposal wells.

And the entertaining BS
Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association said:
There may be a link between earthquakes and disposal wells, but we – industry, regulators, lawmakers or state residents – still don’t know enough about how wastewater injection impacts Oklahoma’s underground faults.

The above is almost verbatim what I said they would say in a recent post.

Corporation Commission said:
have consistently said they would re-evaluate this issue if scientific evidence demonstrated that there was a connection between disposal wells and earthquakes,” said Williams. “Well, the science on induced seismicity is in. It’s time to take swift action to protect the lives and property of this state’s citizens.

And the industry fear, uncertainty, and doubt:

Oklahoma Oil and Gas Association said:
Not only would that halt oil and natural gas production in Oklahoma, there is no scientific evidence that stopping wastewater injection would result in fewer earthquakes. That is why we need a better understanding of what is causing our earthquakes.

Here is the complete story and there is lots more to read beyond this one.

http://kfor.com/2015/04/21/oklahoma-geological-survey-earthquakes-linked-to-oil-and-gas-activity/

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Oil Industry will make the legislator's ignore or cast doubt on any of these scientific findings. They own the state congress/governor.
Doesn't take a genius to see the correlation between the massive amount of quakes and water injection sites.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That article says nothing new. Its the same stuff that has been reported on and there is no new evidence saying the 100% beyond any reasonable doubt that the injection wells are what is causing the earthquakes.

If the home owners are that worried maybe they should take out earthquake insurance. Its pretty cheap.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think home owners should have to pay for insurance to cover them from oil industry caused earthquakes. The oil industry should buy the insurance since it's their activities that are causing the earthquakes. But you bring up a good point on insurance companies. They won't cover manmade earthquake damage and since it's been proven to be manmade, these home owners are SOL. Oil companies causing the earthquakes are throwing their hands up and saying "wasn't us" (despite being proven otherwise) and insurance companies are throwing their hands up and saying "manmade earthquakes aren't covered." Pretty bad situation for the little guy stuck in the middle.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been proven. Everyone outside the oil and gas industry recognizes the facts as they are. The only people denying it are people that stand to loose money from the facts being what they are. I've got nothing to loose one way or the other so my motivation is more pure. Best I can do as the little guy is get the facts out and hope voters see what's going on here. So I don't post this articles and studies because I hate the oil and gas industry. I hate the oil and gas industry because of the denied harm they do that is detailed in these articles.

Maybe his chimney crashed through his roof and he wants someone to pay.

I'll make a deal with ya. Let me come over and knock your chimney through your roof and let's see if you come out of pocket to cover the damage I caused. :D

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing has been proven, The article says they consider it likely that the earthquakes are caused. The only thing proven is that you hate the Oil and Gas industry in America, So why do you carry such a grudge?

WTF kind of world is.
You cause harm to a person's property you oughtta pay for it. Claiming that oil companies are not a fault is predatory and proves you have no heart or soul. Money over everything else!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom