Oil Earthquakes confirmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! 11 pages in and not one person has even bothered to link the actual statement from OGS? I'd venture a guess that nobody discussing this has read it either. I'll save you the effort and link it.

Here's the cliff notes version.

1) We think wastewater injection from OG activity is causing all this shaking.

2) No we are not political and here's proof. We downgrade most measured quakes, because a super smart person (seismologist) has to interpret the readings from the instruments.
(this goes on for several pages, it's the lets baffle them with BS schtick)

3) We really don't have a clue what's going on, but Big OG is a convenient boogeyman so we are blaming him without really blaming him, 'cuz we ain't political. And BTW, we really don't know, but we actually do know that all these little quakes will lead to the big one, just don't ask us why, because we don't know.

We have been injecting waste water from all sorts of activity, not just OG for over 75 years. This is nothing more than a bunch of hooey.
Why is it not surprising that some people are perfectly fine with grabbing money from someone else and wrecking the state's economy based on mere suspicion? Answer: 'Cuz it makes me feel all warm down there...

http://www.ogs.ou.edu/pubsscanned/openfile/OF1_2015.pdf

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hobbes,

I didn't want to further jack that other thread. Here ya go:

Im not the one disputing the word of scientists.

I'm not disputing them either...

Concluding Remarks

Earthquakes are not predictable and we do not know what the future holds, therefore, it is not possible to know whether we are going to see an increase or a decrease in 2015 or beyond. However, the 2014 increase in earthquakes of a magnitude 4.0 and greater increases the probability that we could have a damaging earthquake in Oklahoma. It is important for Oklahomans to understand how to prepare and what to do during an earthquake. Our website has related information and links at http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/pages/prepare.php

As an aside this is the stupidest tripe I've seen in awhile. But some people just buy into the BS to the extent that they don't even bother to look for the contradictions that right in front of their face. They just jump on board with letting big brother tell everyone what to do, and they do so gladly it seems.

Edit to add:
This is the link I meant to post earlier. It actually does have a single well being looked at in relation to seismic activity, which kind of shocks me because it seems that that would be the 1st hypothesis to prove that causation thing that SMS was talking about and extrapolate out from there. Rinse, repeat, many many times. Might actually prove something that way. So, why only one well mentioned? Do they not want to publish findings on others? Questions questions questions...

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3) We really don't have a clue what's going on, but Big OG is a convenient boogeyman so we are blaming him without really blaming him, 'cuz we ain't political. And BTW, we really don't know, but we actually do know that all these little quakes will lead to the big one, just don't ask us why, because we don't know.

We have been injecting waste water from all sorts of activity, not just OG for over 75 years. This is nothing more than a bunch of hooey.
Why is it not surprising that some people are perfectly fine with grabbing money from someone else and wrecking the state's economy based on mere suspicion? Answer: 'Cuz it makes me feel all warm down there...

Says the guy who's life depends on the Oil business. I am not surprised folks are so touchy about this. Scary thought, to make ya earn that paycheck with some oversight and regulation like the rest of us.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess that was a bit trolly. I know there is quite a bit of regulation and oversight.
But, I do think that there is sufficient evidence to there should be thorough investigation and the practice should be limited. Spend the time and effort to show the evidence is wrong, then your good to go, Drill baby drill. But I think the Oil business is scared to investigate, hence the stalling tactics and finger pointing.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This whole thread is trolly. The oil guys are defending their business and the non-oil guys are defending their opinions. Here's the bottom line boys, draw your conclusions and decide what works for you. If someone wants to post an article that proves there is no way oil/gas can be responsible, get after it. We've even got moderators participating in this thread so nothing is stopping you. The evidence seems obvious to me so I'm going to post it up and let people read it and I expect them to decide for themselves what they want to believe. But this one might have run it's course and entertaining as it has been, let's recharge and get ready for the next one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom