Help with civil war era rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popo103

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have what appears to be a civil war era rifle, I'm attempting to learn more about it, caliber, production, value, etc. I've tried to find as much info as I could online but it's not helping much.
It appears to be a Whitneyville Armory rolling block I believe. Any help would be appreciated!! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

popo103

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not certain, it belonged to my father in law before he passed away so I don't know a great deal about it. The other more modern firearms I acquired I'm pretty good with but this one has me kinda stumped. I had read that article online as well, it was probably the best one I found. Thanks for your help!

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have something similar. How does the breach open up? I'm moving today, to the Piedmont area, and will be going thru the safe and try to get a pic. Mine is 38 rimfire I believe, I have some old ammo. Researched I a while ago and the ammo is really pricey.

Z71

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes it's a Remington 'rolling-block rifle of whatever make and caliber...post civil war up to the early 1900's. made by several manufacturers and in all sorts of calibers from .22LR on up .50 also modern era 7mm Mauser 8mm Lebel etc.

popo103

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, this rifle has been sitting collecting dust for years and I really don't know much about it. Contemplating finding it a new home but need more info to either make a decent post or maybe just to keep and pass on later.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
One vote here for investigating as what it is, then keeping it to pass down later. :) Have you mic'd the bore to check the diameter?

Latest posts

Top Bottom