For those that don't understand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have wanted to be a police officer for years but I guarantee I would never get hired no matter where I went. But for some reason idiots like this somehow get to be officers. We live in a messed up world. This dude really needs to fry for this. Have fun in prison.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
P
I worked with a guy that was convicted of manufacturing meth in 2003. He was a cook, but didn't do it where he lived(mom's). TPD showed up at his mom's house and told him whatever was there, his mom was getting charged with it unless he signed a paper stating otherwise. He had no equipment there and about $20 worth of marijuana so he signed the paper. They looked at each other and said "we got him", and backed up a car to the garage and started unloading boxes and taking pictures of his "equipment". In court, the detectives presented pictures of high quality condensers and other expensive lab equipment, none of which belonged to the suspect. They said his finished product went into baby food jars, when in reality he used crude equipment and put the product in large gallon pickle jars. He never denied his guilt, and looking back on it, he is thankful that prison turned his life around. Those detectives all knew what was going on, and never reported anything.

It's nice to see such honesty from law enforcement and the DA's office.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's what I think. I understand giving a buddy a break. Keeping some things out of the news. Professional courtesy.

What I don't get is when one cop sees another cop shoot a guy, or witness a beating, or unauthorized use of force.....why the fukc ain't the good cops arresting the bad ones?

Can't cops arrest "armed old men" who shouldn't be there?

Good cops need to start arresting their own, at the scene of the crime.

That's what I think. See a crime, do your job.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Given what I've seen and heard, Bates ought to serve jail time ... and, though it won't bring the dead man back, he also ought to have to pony up a sizable amount of his fortune in a wrongful death suit ...
You know, I think Bates should be punished, but I have a really hard time with the concept of the family profiting from the accidental death of a felon that was a direct result of him committing a felony. He didn't deserve to die, but if he either a) hadn't tried to commit a felony or b) hadn't turned jackrabbit, none of this would've happened.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know, I think Bates should be punished, but I have a really hard time with the concept of the family profiting from the accidental death of a felon that was a direct result of him committing a felony. He didn't deserve to die, but if he either a) hadn't tried to commit a felony or b) hadn't turned jackrabbit, none of this would've happened.

Generally, I would agree with you but I'm not convinced Bates really didn't realise he'd pulled a gun instead of his tazer, so I'm inclined to think he's not much better than the guy he shot ...

I sure would like to see ALL the evidence that will be produced at discovery ... and I'd like to read the stipulations ...

I remember working a case where I was absolutely convinced that the guy was innocent ... thought the school board was on a witch hunt. (I worked for the attorneys representing the school board, so I'd seen all the evidence, statements, etc.) However, the teacher made a fatal mistake. He insisted, against the advice of his attorney, that he take the stand and testify. Once he was done testifying I found myself thinking that losing his job was the LEAST that should happen to him ... because he was guilty. I knew it, every one in the audience at the school board hearing knew it and he was very, very lucky that he didn't face criminal charges for what he'd done. In fact, in THIS day and age he would have been arrested and tried in criminal court for what he'd done.

This guy gives me the same vibe ...

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This kinda good ole boy system runs deep in Oklahoma law enforcement. It's not just the SO's that do this but the PD's as well. I've seen Chiefs hire reserves simply because they were buddies or wanted to give someone a second chance. If a person has been fired from both Podunk PD & Bugtussle PD they don't need to be a reserve anywhere. I have 16 years of reserve experience in Oklahoma and have seen it all. Lots of good reserve officers that fill a real need but quite a few that are disasters waiting to happen. My experience in Alaska is vastly different. They aren't afraid to send ya down the river if you don't measure up. Also they have prohibitions that don't let you use your commission off-duty. No off duty security jobs or anything like that. Absolutely prohibited from accepting any free meals, etc. Oklahoma has got to change how the law enforcement community operates. Or someday the Feds will step in and do it for them. And geez 73 years old is just too old. I wonder what kinda physical fitness standards TCSO has for its officers????

You make some accusations and assert that you have an intimate knowledge of Oklahoma Law Enforcement. Do you care to tell what agency and when you reserved?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

His actions directly contributed to his death. That is what happens when a person decides to live on the other side of the law.

Bates made some wrong decisions as well.

None of the back story about him has any thing to do with what happened at the instant he made the decision to pull his Taser as he "said" or his gun.

I think the fact on the video that he said "taser" prior to shooting shows he intended to use the taser, which is protocol.

The cops on the ground with the guy said they never heard the shot. I'll buy that with auditory exclusion picking up the slack. Extreme pressure situations can certainly cause that.

I'll hold my opinion until all the evidence is produced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom