C&R license?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it exactly? I was under the impression that it was more or less a collectors license to buy old antique firearms, but I keep stumbling across deals saying that you can get discounts with it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see. Dealer pricing.... Something tells me that it isn't as easy as that. Would there be any stipulations to possessing one, as a logbook or anything?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see. Dealer pricing.... Something tells me that it isn't as easy as that. Would there be any stipulations to possessing one, as a logbook or anything?

Scratch that. The ATF requires a logbook. But if I'm understand the ATF website correctly I can only use that license as to collect curios or relics. Using that license to get a discount on something that falls outside of those definitions would be breaking the rules.... Correct?

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scratch that. The ATF requires a logbook. But if I'm understand the ATF website correctly I can only use that license as to collect curios or relics. Using that license to get a discount on something that falls outside of those definitions would be breaking the rules.... Correct?

The ATF allows C&R Licensees to have Curio and Relic Guns sent directly to your residence - with appropriate record keeping. That is what the ATF allows. Certain dealers will grant discounts based upon you having the C&R and this is up to their store/dealer policy and it has nothing to do with ATF regulations. So, a company could offer you "dealer pricing" on, let's say, a brand new AR-15. However, you would still have to make the purchase through an FFL.

The only problems would arise if you attempted to purchase items that must go through an FFL (non C&R guns) and presented yourself as if you possessed a Federal Firearms license vice your actual C&R license.

Does that make sense?

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Mugsy! This is correct. The C&R is only for curios and relics. The ATF doesn't care or have any power over a dealer giving someone a discount on non C&R firearms/goods. I'm not sure why some businesses choose to give the dealer discount to C&R holders, but I'm not going to refuse it. The logbook is simple and I've never heard of anyone having to deal with an ATF audit for a C&R, though it has probably happened to someone that was doing questionable things. If you buy a lot of C&R eligible guns, get it and never look back!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its c&r firearms, only. Must be a complete firearms. You cannot purchase, for example, an antique receiver all by itself. You must use an FFL for that.

I've had mine for a couple of years, it's nice for buying old guns.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the definition of a relic or curio gun?

Straight from the ATF website.

Q: What is a firearm curio or relic?

Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
[18 U.S.C 27 CFR 478.11]

Latest posts

Top Bottom