You don't own your car, you are just borrowing it for an extended period of time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's another ponder point for mind overload...the same thing applies to your house. Sure, pay off your mortgage and that's great but the property taxes keep rolling on every year. Fail to pay them and...not your house anymore, the sheriff is selling it on the courthouse steps.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that “letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system.”

That’s right- pirating music. Through a tractor."

I think the author does not know what technology is available in a tractor these days.

Personally this proposed law is not in the best interest of the consumer. Next thing will be that the big companies will license the mom and pop mechanic shops to work on one of their vehicles.

Its bullcrap.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Next thing will be that the big companies will license the mom and pop mechanic shops to work on one of their vehicles. No they won't. They only want the factory dealers to work on them. Mom and pop shops will be out of business. Also they won't let parts be made except by the factory and the prices will be sky high. Do it yourself will be a thing of the past.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I responded to a article regarding the same subject the other day on Facebook, and for some reason I am unable to copy and paste the text using my iPad. It's late and im getting all tired and grumpy. So I screenshot my response. Pretty well sums up my mindset on it. I end up being on both sides of the issue, being a do it yourselves and car modification enthusiast, as well as a freedom loving patriot, and on the other side I am a John Deere dealership technician, where I love my job and the only way I put bread on my table is when people break things and bring them back to the dealership to have the machines fixed. My interpretation of the article is that the push is to prevent modification of computer systems in machines and cars. Has to do with levels of complexity, emissions, and so forth.

Here's my previous response to the topic. Take it as you will ymmv, as this is indeed my very own opinionated $.02

image.jpg

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just harvest that soybean crop, save the seeds for next year, and....whoops! Can't do that. either! (if it's from patented seed)

It's a fairy tale that farmers ever were able to keep seeds from the crops they grow. There were a few terrorist farmers who once did that, but never patriotic farmers.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This won't pass and in the miniscule possibility that it does, will be deemed unconstitutional. For now.

Eventually, this type of legislation will be passed. In many European countries, you can't do squat to your car, it is very difficult to get a modified car approved for road use. More nanny-state bullspunk. That is why I was proud of Oklahoma when we got rid of the inspection sticker. Seems we have gone backwards on everything else too, but I was happy for that one. I got tired of dumbasses at gas stations telling me that my 65 Chevy truck was illegal because it didn't have a tag light (not required until 1968-ish) or factory-installed seat belts (not required in trucks until 1967). Bone stock truck, everything worked, but I would get hassled by inspectors every time.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't own your car, you are just borrowing it for an extended period of time. I have to agree with this part. You use it until either you can't drive anymore or you sell it, give it away or die. But until any of those things happen leave me alone. I shall do what I wish with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom