You don't own your car, you are just borrowing it for an extended period of time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what I meant. I'm talking about the expansion of the limits of working on the car by the author, not the legitimacy of modifying the computer code. However let me restate that so you'll understand. How did not modifying or flashing the onboard computer get turned (by the author) into you can't work on your own car AT ALL?

Well, when the software in a vehicle is a very significant if not the primary functional piece of the vehicle itself (for example, newer 7-series BMWs have over 100 modules on at least 5 different circuit buses controlling everything from fuel/air spark, to the radio, to the transmission, to the fly-by-wire gas pedal, to the LED headlamps, to the airbags, etc...), and we have a manufacturer asserting that we don't own nor can we modify the the software controlling the vehicle we purchase inside the vehicle ("that proponents of copyright reform mistakenly 'conflate ownership of a vehicle with ownership of the underlying computer software in a vehicle.'” -from http://www.wired.com/2015/04/dmca-ownership-john-deere/ ) then it's not a stretch to assert that consumers are now being precluded from fulling owning and modifying the products the purchase.

In a 2015 model year vehicle, the computer code is a large, if not the most signficant and prominent, parts of the vehicle that a lay-mechanic may want to work on at home

Latest posts

Top Bottom