You don't own your car, you are just borrowing it for an extended period of time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another big business monopoly doing things in their own interests that harm citizens. No difference in threat between oversize business and oversized government. Got to keep it all in check. But the premise of using DMCA is completely flawed in this model. Using music as an example, it is completely legal to buy a song, sample it, and create customizations for your own personal, not for profit use. Even more generally applicable, you can take songs from different albums and combine them for your own, not for profit use. They are called playlists. This forum's software doesn't sue forum users because they choose their own non-oem avatars or forum owners for putting their own logos and color schemes on the board. So this is a non-starter but demonstrates why as private citizens, we must always fight big collectives accumulation of power or we are going to end up in a world we don't recognize. So vote with your dollars and consider this when buying a car from these manufacturers:

General Motors Company
BMW Group
FCA US LLC
Ford Motor Company
Jaguar Land Rover
Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America

And the article does make the point that the most technologically advanced car company out there, Tesla, doesn't support this.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How did not modifying or flashing the onboard computer get turned into you can't work on your own car?

Ummmm...1.modifying the onboard computer is working on your car. 2. If it's YOUR car, why shouldn't you be able to "work on", "modify", as you wish?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ummmm...1.modifying the onboard computer is working on your car. 2. If it's YOUR car, why shouldn't you be able to "work on", "modify", as you wish?

You know what I meant. I'm talking about the expansion of the limits of working on the car by the author, not the legitimacy of modifying the computer code. However let me restate that so you'll understand. How did not modifying or flashing the onboard computer get turned (by the author) into you can't work on your own car AT ALL?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what I meant. I'm talking about the expansion of the limits of working on the car by the author, not the legitimacy of modifying the computer code. However let me restate that so you'll understand. How did not modifying or flashing the onboard computer get turned (by the author) into you can't work on your own car AT ALL?

It's actually not that far of a stretch. Think about things like trusted computing/TPM, HP's chips in ink cartridges to verify that the cartridge is a genuine HP cartridge, etc. and the manufacturers can lock an awful lot down. They may not be able to keep you from changing a tire (or can they? Cryptographically-signed TPMS, maybe?), but they can do an awful lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom