LR308 issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just traded my r700 for a DPMS lr308. The gun has a 16" barrel, carbine gas system. The previous owner had the collapsible stock swapped for a rifle stock. Once I got the thing home I noticed the bolt would only stay back with a mag in place. After playing with the mag catch I realized the buffer is too long to allow the carrier to ride far enough back for it to catch on the bolt face. With a mag in the bolt was only stopping on my mag follower. The buffer in the gun is 5 7/8" long and the spring is 12 7/8" long. So my only guess is that this buffer and spring combo is too long to let the carrier ride far enough back. I reassembled the gun with no buffer, only the buffer spring and it all functioned as it should. Can anyone tell me what is the correct length buffer and spring and maybe sell me one at the same time lol.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a bushmaster BR308 which is a DPMS LR308 with a slightly better barrel (4150 and Chrome Lined). I can tell you that all the different AR308 parts and systems are a giant clusterf!@* of BS that doesn't lend itself well to tinkering by novice gunners. I went with a Vltor A5 tube and an Armalite buffer system as the stock buffer system on the DPMS guns use a weak spring and overly short buffer and together the combination sucks more than a second shift whore on overtime. Works great with the A5, runs reliably and recoil doesn't beat me like a redheaded bastard stepchild.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i60.tinypic.com_eq5fmc.jpg

Left to right;
AR10 buffer and Spring i use in my A5 Tube. DPMS LR308 buffer/Spring. AR-15 standard carbine buffer and spring. THe AR10 carbine buffer is a standard AR15 H3 buffer that uses a longer, stiffer spring.

That lil LR308 buffer/spring is a piss poor design and dramatically increases felt recoil.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the correct buffer in the gun, took it to the range today and fired 140 rounds of various ammo both 7.62 and .308. It ate everything i put in it with zero hiccups. Im very pleased with the rifle however, I still think I may add a heavy buffer to it because the 16" barrel/carbine length gas system is a bit to harsh for good follow up shots lol

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a Miculek comp and it really tamed the Muzzle rise and recoil.

I am going to try a PWS FSC30 on my LR308.

I used a FSC30 on my 7.62X39 build and recoil and muzzle rize are damn near nill.
Unbelievable how much it change from the bare muzzle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom