Re - homing a dog ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I have to rehome one of our family pets. She's a Redbone Coonhound and Lab mix. Awesome beautiful dog. She's way too high energy and high strung now though, and has become a walking, barking, and running battering ram of excitement to my kids though (2 & 6yrs old). She got dropped off at our place and the wife was a big 'ol softie, so she never went to the pound like she said she was going to do. That was 4 years ago. I've had enough and the dog has to go now. Summer is getting closer, and my kids won't be denied their backyard anymore.

She needs a home with space to run, or someone that would take her our hunting. She's very trainable, but our set back with training her is we just don't have the space to let her run her energy off, so training was just a time of being constantly anxious for her. I have no doubt if she had the right home with space to run, she'd be fine with kids. She's very gentle, and she will sit on command, and lay down (with "down" command), most of the time.

She's been slighty timid since we got her, and we approx'ed her age was between 6-9 months, so it obvious she had some sort of not so nice owner history, and it's stuck with her a bit at times. If you raise your voice, she'll cower instead of listen, that type of stuff. Mixing that in with a never ending energy pool, and it can become a nightmare.

Does anyone know, or is anyone looking for a good trainable friend, who may also be easily turned into hunting dog? She's very healthy, and she's also been fixed.

If not, I really don't want her to go to a pound, but if Friday rolls around I still have her, that may end up being where she goes. Does anyone know of a non kill place in OKC I could take her if it comes down to that? I've never had to get rid of a pet before aside from natural causes.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck getting her into a no kill shelter. The vast majority of the no kill shelters in the city are full, and an animal, if not adopted, will sit inside one for years, just waiting inside a cage, until they die from sickness or natural causes. Also, most no kill shelters and rescues only either take animals that are good for PR, or that are purebred and will make them money. Sucks I know, and shouldn't be like that. Honestly, the OKC animal shelter off of SE 29th and Bryant isn't bad. They give every animal that comes in a fair shake, and with her being fixed and a beautiful dog she should go almost immediately into the adoption program. What will happen is you drop her off at the front during business hours, sign a piece of paper giving her over to the city, and there you have it. If you have any questions about all this I am more than willing to talk you through whatever, or answer any questions. I worked as a field officer for OKC animal welfare for almost 2 years. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and I saw how everything goes, did it all.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
**sigh** I can't take her -- GC is right, if it wasn't for him they would be saying the Russian cat lady has nothing on me --

BUT ...

IF you could get her to "behave" would you keep her? If the answer is yes, PM me and I'll send you some ideas, and suggestions for reading maerial. Your 6-year-old is plenty old enough to understand basic dog behavior and use it to her advantage.

The bad news is it takes time (a few weeks) but more importantly it takes consistently applying "The Rules" ...

The good news is even tired, grumpy, stressed out grown-ups can do it! ;)

Watch these dogs closely ... they NEVER bump or even brush up against the little girl ... the youngest puppies, who arguably, should be the least able to control their impulses and the oldest dogs, who arguably, could be tempted to assert themselves with regard to pack structure, are the most intriguing to watch ...

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=ofCZNgnPtqU

Last edited:

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, her breed types much more attention than we can give. Both breeds she is is considered high energy breeds that need moderate to high exercise daily, which we can't provide. We have a corgi that she just tires out playing with and then is left bored, and then moves to trying to escape to run amuck or becoming a bull in a China shop with who ever walks out the back door, which is very seldom anymore.

One of the parts of training every program we've read into says you need the right amount of exercise for the breed, which just can't happen sadly. Even though the wife was the nice one that decided to keep her against me telling her, no, he'll no, get rid of it, I now have to be the bad guy 4 years later once again because I want my yard back for myself and my kids.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While everything you are saying is generally true, even high energy dogs can learn when and when not being rowdy is appropriate ... and they can learn how to play appropriately.

Additionally, you are through the worst of it with her ... 5 years of age is when the vast majority of high-energy dogs start to slow down ... GC has absolutely HATED every single GSD we have had until they've hit the 5YO mark ... within 6 to 8 months of them turning 5 he's asking me why they couldn't just "be good" in the first place. Lol ... as you can tell be is NOT a dog guy ... :(

There was another member here who had much the same problem ... but his dog was still a puppy ... instead of taking his dog, I simply took her in and worked with her for a few weeks. He still has his dog, hmmmm, it's been 4 years now, I think ...

I'd offer to take yours and work with her but this stray that followed me home from the lake last year is NOT good with other dogs or kids. He's just now started to feel secure here and I don't want to rock his boat ... like your girl, he was dumped and I have NO DOUBT mistreated for quite a while beforehand.

I hope you find a home for her. If you change your mind, all you've gotta do is holler ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom