BBQ season is here.... what's cookin' this week??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, howdy folks. Been a while, I've been away, busy workin' and such. Can't post or even lurk this forum from work, as the Taliban admin has us shut down - anything "gun related" is considered terrorist. lol

Anyways, today I'm gonna do a coupla racks of St. Louis-cut ribs on the smoker. Simple deal this time, just threw some kosher salt on 'em yesterday and they've been sittin' in the fridge. I was gonna do them yesterday, but I got sidetracked with this:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202015_20150427_120209_zpsejsd3ckv.jpg

Sorry no pics before I cut it up, but it's about a 2 1/2 lb chuck roast I threw on the smoker for about 3 hours. Ended up about the flavor and texture of prime rib, but, being chuck was not as tender. Totally unseasoned, though, just "nekkid".

Then I browned it up and turned it into this:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202015_20150427_174930_zps80au4xuo.jpg

Yes, yes, I know, I know... real Texas chili puritans will call me heretical. A few carrots and a few beans, blah blah. But I like it. It was good. A few hours in the pot and that chuck was as tender as anyone could wish for. :D

Today, I have this to start the festivities:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202015_20150428_070258_zpsczxxckmv.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202015_20150428_090128_zpsjk1jgg5s.jpg

About 2 1/2 pounds there, pre-cooked weight. I have special plans for this little piggy later on today... stay tuned! :D

More pics of the ribs on the smoker coming up later, too.

Oh my God who else is glad winter is OVER?!?!?!?!?!?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice-lookin' brisket. I did a corned-beef a couple weeks ago that didn't turn out very good. I need more practice for that, for sure. It was hella tough and hella salty. I guess I need to soak the hell out of it for a few days to get some of the saltiness out. And maybe cook it lower and slower. I'm gonna try that sometime soon.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha! Did you hear me and GC talking about you yesterday? He was wondering where you were and I told him if it was last time I tested with you, probably work ... Man I hope you are slowing down a little bit now! ;)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haha! Did you hear me and GC talking about you yesterday? He was wondering where you were and I told him if it was last time I tested with you, probably work ... Man I hope you are slowing down a little bit now! ;)

Yeah... things were pretty bad up until mid-March. It's mostly tolerable now, thank God. Gettin' some grillin' time this week, though. :D

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a nice-lookin' brisket. I did a corned-beef a couple weeks ago that didn't turn out very good. I need more practice for that, for sure. It was hella tough and hella salty. I guess I need to soak the hell out of it for a few days to get some of the saltiness out. And maybe cook it lower and slower. I'm gonna try that sometime soon.

Smoked corned-beef = Pastrami.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are hooked on baby back ribs. Light cost of mustard, Head Country all purpose rub, garlic powder and lemon pepper rubbed in.
Put them in the cookshack with light hickory smoke for 3 hours @ 225 degrees.
At three hours, pull the ribs from the smoker an put on the grill. Then brush a light coat of Head Country BBQ on both sides, let carmalize and eat.
Fall off the bone tender.

Latest posts

Top Bottom