I'm a bit lost guys, my dad is getting old.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it bad that I kinda wish that if e is going, that he would just go? Suffering and being helped just isn't his thing, and I hate to see him suffer. I know he would be much happier in other places.

In my book, no.

As far as doing it without a lawyer or a will, I used a lawyer for my dad's estate, which was fortunately structured as to not require a will. We did a "quit claim deed" on some clear title property, signed over the title on his old truck and his bank account had my name on it. The only thing left on the table were some utility deposits that I couldn't claim, but they were less than what a will and probate would've cost.

You might need to make sure you and your sis aren't going to get stuck with his debt though.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish I could help with some useful advice or fixes but I can't. You are giving your Dad respect and love - that is worth a lot. God bless and comfort you, your Dad and your family.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might need to make sure you and your sis aren't going to get stuck with his debt though.
Debt can't be inherited however they will go after their money with the sale of any of his stuff. If the sale of his stuff wont cover it, they take a loss. What he owns must stand good for what he owes.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Debt can't be inherited however they will go after their money with the sale of any of his stuff. If the sale of his stuff wont cover it, they take a loss. What he owns must stand good for what he owes.

Yeah, he has maybe 2 $400 dollar cars good for scrap, a $200 dollar laptop, $500 in old beat up tools, and maybe $400 in books. That's about all he has to his name, aside from +/- 55k in mortgage and CC debt. They won't be getting much to recoup. With all that in mind I don't really think it's worth the time and hassle to get a lawyer and set up a will and such. The only thing that I necessarily want is his old bible the flag I had flown for him in Afghanistan.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some charitable organization links that may be of use to you:
http://preferhome.com/senior-resources/common-senior-concerns/10-charities-for-elderly-people-2/
Note - the group listing them is a commerical concern that provides elder care at home but you don't have to go through them to view the charity websites.
You may also want to try talking to the folks at: http://catholiccharitiesok.org/contact

Finally, I'll add - don't give up or lose hope. Falling in the shower and needing help is not an "end of life" issue. Your father sounds like he has lots of life left but just needs some basic, not specifically medical, assistance - made more difficult because he is cantankerous. I would bet that your father is likely medicaid eligible and that program does assist with long-term, including in-home care. Too often people nowadays have an "if it isn't easy or perfect, it isn't worth trying attitude" - turn away from those folks. Do not overlook the assistance that you and your sister may also need - like respite care if you decide to take care of your father yourselves, or maybe just a support group if you are struggling watching the changes in your father and wrestling with your own feelings about him, etc.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of these comments are sound advise. My .02 is that he is frustrated about his current condition but has no way to improve his position. Therefore he lashes out at your family because that is all he can do. He is going down hill and he knows it.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there no equity in his house? If so, they will want that too.

Noted. I figured as much. As far as I know he doesn't have a penny of equity in it.

All of these comments are sound advise. My .02 is that he is frustrated about his current condition but has no way to improve his position. Therefore he lashes out at your family because that is all he can do. He is going down hill and he knows it.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was figuring. Just gotta figure out how to make this work. I wish I had more time to look over all the links you guys have posted, but as I'm leaving in the morning for a really important training class for work, I have other things that need my more immediate focus

Last edited:

Texican

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kinda what I was figuring. Just gotta figure out how to make this work. I wish I had more time to look over all the links you guys have posted, but as I'm leaving in the morning for a really important training class for work, I have other things that need my more immediate focus

HoLe:

After I discovered the potential for partial payment by VA for long term care, my mother and I made application for my maternal grandmother, my grandmother received VA payments for my grandfather served in WW2....

If you father served in the military, he is eligible for support from the VA for long term care.... You have to make application to the VA for the payments.... Most major cities have a VA assist group that will help you....

We understand what you are going through....

It is not easy.... and you will have to take the time to work through this....

I helped my father with monies in his later life even though he broke promise after promise to my sister and I and he did not help my sister and I after he abandoned my family.... He was not a dad, but was my father and helped to create me and my sister with our mother who did not abandoned us....

Life is tough, but you can work through this if you try.... Do not give up....

Texican....

Latest posts

Top Bottom