LEAD M1 Garands picked up at Wanenmacher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It took me a while to get around to posting these pics; this is a pair of M1 Garands rebuilt at the Letterkenny Army Depot (LEAD) in Pennsylvania in the 1960s. The top one in the first two pics is an International Harvester production, and the bottom one is a Harrington & Richardson issue. The IHC sports the lightest shade of the typical LEAD silvery finish I've ever seen, but the pics don't do it justice. It was refinished in a fresh batch of parkerizing solution - as more rifles were dipped in the solution, and the more contaminants were introduced, the solution and the rifles became darker. The HRA either got a dip in a very old and weak solution, or else it was not refinished, as it's still a darker shade of gray with a touch of olive. Both rifles have rear sight knobs darker than the receiver finish, which also was typical of LEAD rebuilds. Both rifles also are LEAD marked on the receiver leg, and both are still wearing correct stocks, respectively. The IHC is an earlier "postage stamp" example, while the HRA has a serial number in an uncommon block (Springfield having been assigned all but about 11,500 of the 5.4M block).

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1s_M1s_20misc_DSC_0244w_zpsoe9vwcou.jpg

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1s_M1s_20misc_DSC_0245w_zpsmx3xktuq.jpg

The IHC is on the bottom in this next pic; you can see better the difference in metal coloration.

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1s_M1s_20misc_DSC_0247w_zps7rxpbgrq.jpg

i738.photobucket.com_albums_xx29_Perplexed0_M1s_M1s_20misc_DSC_0248w_zpsv68oqfcj.jpg

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice rifles. I believe the reason the later rifles are darker is due to aging of the parkerizing solution not from contamination. Fresh parkerizing solution needs to be aged by adding iron or the resulting finish will be light in color and thin.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice rifles. I believe the reason the later rifles are darker is due to aging of the parkerizing solution not from contamination. Fresh parkerizing solution needs to be aged by adding iron or the resulting finish will be light in color and thin.

It was covered in a recent issue of the Garand Collectors Association magazine; the authors opined that it was a combination of age of the solution and presence of contaminants [possibly oil and dirt?] that led to some rifles coming out darker than others. That's interesting though about the need to add iron to a fresh parkerizing solution.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was covered in a recent issue of the Garand Collectors Association magazine; the authors opined that it was a combination of age of the solution and presence of contaminants [possibly oil and dirt?] that led to some rifles coming out darker than others. That's interesting though about the need to add iron to a fresh parkerizing solution.

It is possible that there was dirt and oil contamination, but those would hinder the chemical conversion producing an unacceptable and inconsistent finish.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is possible that there was dirt and oil contamination, but those would hinder the chemical conversion producing an unacceptable and inconsistent finish.

That didn't stop the rebuild depots from cranking out rifles with refinishes that were plum colored (the result of refinishing over an existing finish, usually in the late 1940s), blotchy gray, or very thin. The order of the day was to get them out there, especially during the Korean conflict, ASAP. Niceties such as a pristine finish weren't too important :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom