I wanna start bowfishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I desperately want to start bowfishing. Did a little bit a few years ago, had a ton of fun. I will be mostly wading/bank shooting, and want to pursue just about anything I can legally. The canadian river near me is just crawling with carp, and overholser is looking pretty good too.

I want to buy a compound bow, something I can use for things other than bowfishing when the need arises. PSE is a pretty appealing brand to me, I really don't have much experience with bows or any sort of archery, but I would love to start. Any advice? Suggested gear? I'm wanting to also get something for snakes and stuff, maybe a judge with .410 shells and a light? Any sort of advice would be appreciated!

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a longgg time since I put a reel on an old bow and massacred carp and gar on the Arkansas but dang it was fun.
I think most any bow will work, wheels or stick....whatever your comfy with. They sell special reels or you can fab up a mount for a closed face reel.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a longgg time since I put a reel on an old bow and massacred carp and gar on the Arkansas but dang it was fun.
I think most any bow will work, wheels or stick....whatever your comfy with. They sell special reels or you can fab up a mount for a closed face reel.

After a lot of debate and research I have ordered a PSE tidal wave bowfishing setup, so I'm good though. I would love to go out an massacre carp and such, but the idea of going after buffalo and gar is really a big interest of mine, as I would like to eat what I kill. Any tips on finding them in central ok?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all this rain, you should be set on carp here soon. They usually move to spawn in June. Use Google maps to find shallow areas to walk, but the best is always first hand knowledge. Remember to shoot low and when you think you're aiming low enough, aim lower. Refraction is a weird thing. Have extra tips/knocks handy and some super glue. Pool shoes are your friend when wading. Gar eat really well, carp I can't speak to.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all this rain, you should be set on carp here soon. They usually move to spawn in June. Use Google maps to find shallow areas to walk, but the best is always first hand knowledge. Remember to shoot low and when you think you're aiming low enough, aim lower. Refraction is a weird thing. Have extra tips/knocks handy and some super glue. Pool shoes are your friend when wading. Gar eat really well, carp I can't speak to.

Yeah I've been scouting places out the past few weeks, it's honestly what has pushed me to get a bow. It's hard enough not to when you go fishing and there's dozens of carp sticking their backs out of the water taunting you.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I've been scouting places out the past few weeks, it's honestly what has pushed me to get a bow. It's hard enough not to when you go fishing and there's dozens of carp sticking their backs out of the water taunting you.

Guess what, once you have a bow in hand, those carp will be gone. Happens every time. lol

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess what, once you have a bow in hand, those carp will be gone. Happens every time. lol

Haha yeah I'm figuring so. I'm probably going to give it a shot this weekend and see how it goes.

And in reguards to practice.... I need it. I'm trying to learn to shoot instinctively, and have a target set up in my back yard. However, about 1 out of 20 shots go into the fence rather than the target. Real big pain in the rear. While I understand I can't just take my Ruger out to a field or the park for target practice, could I take my bow out somewhere safe and set my target up without getting into a ugly situation?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Read the SDA on projectiles.

Coz

What does the SDA have to do with archery practice? I'm not looking to carry a bow for self defense or even try concealing it on my person. I cannot find anything in the SDA that has to do with archery or using a bow in public.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Norman, you technically can, as city code only restricts projectiles that require an explosion for propulsion. Definitely check the city code or call the police dept to verify.

Latest posts

Top Bottom