I need some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the details are in the link, but since you asked.

If you've seen the news, you know South Oklahoma City was hit by a tornado. My family was living with my parents at the time in a house we were going to be taking over from them as they were moving to a retirement center.
Unfortunately, the house is not worth saving, so we are officially homeless. With no place to live, three children and a fourth on the way, we need a place.

We don't have much for savings, so I am asking for your help to come up with a down payment for a house so that my children may have a home again.

I'm hoping for $12000, as that should give us some cushion for closing costs as well.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check around 15th st. & Sooner rd. in mwc, there are plenty of houses for rent for roughly $5-700/month with some just needing the first month down. I just helped my buddy move into one last weekend, they aren't much to brag about but it's a house for now while you work towards getting back on your feet.
I'm not kicking you while you're down by any means, but owning is a privilege and kind of a lot to ask for IMO, it's a want, not a need. I think you'd have much more luck asking for help getting the first months rent together. I lived in rent houses for a long while growing up before my family could save to buy one, it's love that makes a home a home, not the materials or the location.

Good luck brother! I'm sure you'll find what you need.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could probably get into a house with almost no money out of pocket. Find that realtor here that advertises in the classifieds. I believe there are down payment assistance programs or grants for OK county that will pay the FHA downpayment and you should be able to negotiate the seller to pay closing costs easily.

What was the deal with the home insurance? They should pay some additional living expense. Are you going to sell the land?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the house is uninhabitable, and insured, I'd think there was Additional Living Expense (ALE or "loss of use") coverage available under the fire policy. If you have a renters policy, it would also provide some coverage of ALE for displacement not due tot he fault of the landlord. If you are uninsured or the ALE coverage is exhausted, FEMA does provide assistance for this though currently they and Fallin are in a pissing match over whether the March and May storms are enough to qualify as a disaster of FEMA-level severity.

Just something to consider in case you or the property owner haven't got through the finer details of a total loss claim on it.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are fine for now as the insurance is currently covering us, but we are going to have to find a place to live. My folks are (wisely) using the insurance money to pay off their mortgage and get out of debt, and they are just going to dump the house. I will definitely look into what assistance I can find, but I didn't want to wait around on that, so I thought I'd get started now.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so confused by this whole deal? Are you asking for other people to make a down payment on a house for you? I could see asking for some help with a deposit on a rental but 12k so you can buy a house seems a little outlandish. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom