Obama announces restrictions on distribution of military-style equipment to police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No body is talking about snow cats. People should be worried when they see American streets looking like Iraq. Heavy armored vehicles, drones, grenade launchers, etc have no place on our streets to be used against Americans. Like I said, just a step in the right direction.

If I'm wrong I apologize but this sounds like you think certain weapons should be restricted. That flies in the face of the intent of the 2A. Our founders wanted us to have every weapon available for military purposes. Why? Because back then we were WERE the military. The founders were against a standing army and now we have one, I get that, but the logic in the founder's thinking is just as relevant today as then. Weapons are our last hope against a tyrannical government when all other avenues have been exhausted. That's why they gave us the 2A. If we are restricted to cap & ball revolvers as being deemed a "reasonable restriction" it's not exactly a level field is it? The thread is about the militarization of the local police which are us. They will in large part likely be standing at our sides if we ever come to that last avenue. So do we want them to only have cap & ball revolvers too?

I know I'm in a miniscule minority on this, but I think that's because they stopped teaching history a long time ago.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm wrong I apologize but this sounds like you think certain weapons should be restricted. That flies in the face of the intent of the 2A. Our founders wanted us to have every weapon available for military purposes. Why? Because back then we were WERE the military. The founders were against a standing army and now we have one, I get that, but the logic in the founder's thinking is just as relevant today as then. Weapons are our last hope against a tyrannical government when all other avenues have been exhausted. That's why they gave us the 2A. If we are restricted to cap & ball revolvers as being deemed a "reasonable restriction" it's not exactly a level field is it? The thread is about the militarization of the local police which are us. They will in large part likely be standing at our sides if we ever come to that last avenue. So do we want them to only have cap & ball revolvers too?

I know I'm in a miniscule minority on this, but I think that's because they stopped teaching history a long time ago.

Nope they still teach history in schools, even in Oklahoma to my surprise. I understand the 2nd amendment very well but I'm not quite sure what action by any police agency in the last decade would make you believe they are on our side? They are a direct extension of our local and state governments with political interests at heart. While im sure that some officers would be willing to oppose a tyrannical government I wouldn't count on it. Id sleep much better at night knowing that police are only utilizing weapons that a normal citizen can own. If you really would like MRAP vehicles, tanks, drones, etc. rolling down your street then we have the national guard for that.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope they still teach history in schools, even in Oklahoma to my surprise. I understand the 2nd amendment very well but I'm not quite sure what action by any police agency in the last decade would make you believe they are on our side? They are a direct extension of our local and state governments with political interests at heart. While im sure that some officers would be willing to oppose a tyrannical government I wouldn't count on it. Id sleep much better at night knowing that police are only utilizing weapons that a normal citizen can own. If you really would like MRAP vehicles, tanks, drones, etc. rolling down your street then we have the national guard for that.

I might have agreed with you if POTUS had not weighed in on it. He impresses me as anti-Law Enforcement. So that sort of makes me pro-Law Enforcement.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. MRAPs Apparently Not Included
One piece of equipment police agencies have acquired under the 1033 Program - which has been the target of much criticism - is the MRAP. Oddly, under the new restrictions, the MRAP remains an available item, as the order reads that “vehicles that provide ballistic protection to their occupants and utilize a tracked system instead of wheels for forward motion” will be prohibited.
http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...bout-Obamas-evisceration-of-the-1033-Program/

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2. MRAPs Apparently Not Included
One piece of equipment police agencies have acquired under the 1033 Program - which has been the target of much criticism - is the MRAP. Oddly, under the new restrictions, the MRAP remains an available item, as the order reads that “vehicles that provide ballistic protection to their occupants and utilize a tracked system instead of wheels for forward motion” will be prohibited.
http://www.policeone.com/police-pro...bout-Obamas-evisceration-of-the-1033-Program/

Once again, just a step in the right direction.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The key words (yours) are highlighted and are a very different animal from the federal government. I guarantee if it ever comes to it a significant number will stand opposed. Of course not all but a better percentage than you seem to have faith in, just as it was in the revolutionary war. Lets just agree in hoping we don't have another.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The key words (yours) are highlighted and are a very different animal from the federal government. I guarantee if it ever comes to it a significant number will stand opposed. Of course not all but a better percentage than you seem to have faith in, just as it was in the revolutionary war. Lets just agree in hoping we don't have another.

Regardless of the jurisdiction, armed officers are the force that governments (local, state, fed) use to coerce serfs to behave as the government entity chooses. How many that have chosen to be servants of those governing bodies are going to be willing to become traitors and stand alongside the average Joe?

How has that worked in other countries?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They are a direct extension of our local and state governments with political interests at heart. While im sure that some officers would be willing to oppose a tyrannical government I wouldn't count on it. Id sleep much better at night knowing that police are only utilizing weapons that a normal citizen can own. If you really would like MRAP vehicles, tanks, drones, etc. rolling down your street then we have the national guard for that.

Regardless of the jurisdiction, armed officers are the force that governments (local, state, fed) use to coerce serfs to behave as the government entity chooses. How many that have chosen to be servants of those governing bodies are going to be willing to become traitors and stand alongside the average Joe? How has that worked in other countries?

Let me guess … you are hunkered down in a bunker with your tin foil hats pulled down tight waiting for that critical tipping point when law enforcement agencies (finally) have enough firepower that our “tyrannical government” will give the order to … do exactly what? Take your guns? Rape your dog? Send your kids to reeducation camps where no one is allowed to read to them? Steal your favorite unicorn?

Is it that you would rather have the police less armed to placate your paranoid “what if” scenario then to have them be prepared for contingencies where they would need to have the right equipment to protect the people they serve (and themselves)? Or do you just believe anything Barack Hussein Obama says?

Latest posts

Top Bottom