Senate republicans give Obama new powers, but they are still classified.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Republicans are so different than democrats. Keep voting for those "conservative freedom lovers".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...b6958e-00c7-11e5-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

President Obama won a big victory for his trade agenda Friday with the Senate’s approval of fast-track legislation that could make it easier for him to complete a wide-ranging trade deal that would include 11 Pacific Rim nations.

A coalition of 48 Senate Republicans and 14 Democrats voted for Trade Promotion Authority late Friday, sending the legislation to a difficult fight in the House, where it faces more entrenched opposition from Democrats.

The Senate coalition fought off several attempts by opponents to undermine the legislation, defeating amendments that were politically popular but potentially poisonous to Obama’s bid to secure the trade deal.

“This is an important bill, likely the most important bill we will pass this year. It’s important to President Obama,” Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah), chairman of the Senate Finance Committee and primary author of the bill, said at the close of debate.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought in the other thread they reported this was defeated?I am at work and dont have the time or ability to do much in research on this stuff, but I'm a bit confused.

Not that that's anything new.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the O/P's article:

Just 55 members of the House were in office during the 1993 debate for the North American Free Trade Agreement, and nearly 140 lawmakers - a third of the entire House - have never voted on any trade deal before. The last trade deals, with Panama, Colombia and South Korea, were approved in October 2011.

And you can bet that Boner is going to be wielding his big sledge hammer to get the newbs in line and on board too.

tR, I think it was an amendment that got defeated. I haven't been following it that closely either due to work, but Langford was on Rick Roberts show today. I missed that too but heard a little after he got off the air to run to a vote and it sounds like Roberts was giving him the business. Langford did agree to come back on next week for a half hour and from the sounds of it, he isn't going to enjoy it. I won't be missing that show. And I may as well not even bother to call my House rep, because it's Cole. He's so far up Boner's a$$ nobody will ever find him.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I still suspect that NSA or another department provided damaging information on Obama's political advasaries and either he gets his way or info is "leaked" to the NYT.

Latest posts

Top Bottom